Bible verses removed from NWT at jw.org

by hardtobeme 14 Replies latest jw friends

• offgrid5150
    offgrid5150

It's a corrupt bible translation slanted toward JW theology.

God's preserved word in English in my humble opinion, is the King James Bible.

Do the research. Textus Receptus and Hebrew Masoretic Text( The true uncorrupted texts)

The Alexandrian/Westcott and Hort texts are what 90% of modern bibles are based on.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Actually, I hope they keep it this way. I'd even prefer they take out chapters, too. And all the cross references and footnotes. They should make it an option to turn these off, which would be super simple give that they are simply HTML styles. Why? The original writings did not have a chapter and verse system. While chapters and verses are good for reference reasons, they actually have the effect of interrupting the entire thought of the writer. We stop, for example, at the end of a chapter, an end that was decided upon centuries ago. But, in many cases, the thought continues from the previous chapter. So, with chapters, and even with verses, context can be lost unless you are disciplined enough to ignore them. Most people aren't.

There's actually movement with other translations to do this. The ESV Reader's Bible, for example, or NIV's Books of the Bible (that last one actually re-arranges books to try to make sense with who is writing them.) A Bible without chapters and verses would make a HUGE difference when reading, I think. It just flows better, and you get more of the sense of it without the interruptions, no matter how insignificant they might seem.

It is very interesting, though, that Matt 24 has verses, but surrounding chapters do not. Not sure if that was intentional or not. Time will tell.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Looks like it was a glitch. I see verse numbers in various books and chapters. If you still aren't seeing them, perhaps they've accidentally broken verse styling in some browsers.

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi All,

Check the JW.Org site now...the verses are back...Just a heads-up.

Legacy

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

HHow is the KJV more God's word? The Biblical languages are Hebrew and Greek. King James authorized the translation. The Stuarts had all sorts of political diifficulties. I enjoy it. The Psalms are particularly beautiful in that language. English usage has changed so much that KJV is hard to comprehend. I prefer Rite I with the Middle English to the more universal Rite II. I will get up early to hear Rite I.

The Message Bible is the negation of English for me. It makes me sick. English can be so achingly beautiful. There are other translations that are easy on modern ears. It is an aethetic judgment. I know it is a Message translation as soon as I hear or read one line. Computer software and the Internet enable us to compare many translations. I am using a NIV now. My family Bible is huge. Rembrandt drawings illustrate the Bible. There is a center section to record family info such as births, deaths, marriages. The problem is that it is too heavy to use. I need to purchase a lectern from a library supply store to keep the Bible open. Cancel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit