Do you know your neighbors? Is it just me?

by neverendingjourney 37 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The Latino families stick to themselves. One-third of my high school class was Latino. The white and black kids knew each other. My yearbook is evidence. They were not active in clubs or anything. There were a few exceptions. The language issue was difficult. I met a Latino woman in Manhattan who graduated from my high school the same year. It was funny. I am one of the few with a yearbook. She asked to see it. It was revealing. She only knew Latino people. It is kind of sad.

Do you have any suggestions? I always feel as tho I am imposing if I speak to them. The same is true with any ethnic enclave.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Would you be able to print up some leaflets and go knock on your neighbors door, inviting them to your place for a front yard "Neighborhood Appreciation BBQ"???

(The idea being you appreciate their quiet and mannerly behavior, and you are so thankful, NOT to have nosy neighbors (lol) that you would like to throw a little party. You will be supplying the hot dogs and buns and if they would like to bring along some salads, potato chip and or dessert, that would be great!

Ask if they could bring along some extra patio chairs to sit on. If you don't have a BBQ, ask your neighbor (who you know has one) if he wouldn't mind rolling his BBQ over and manning the grill.

Have the kids blow up some balloons and tie them off with string and use them to "decorate" your yard (backs of chairs) before the regular (older) guests come. Kids will love it.

If one of the ladies has flowers in her yard, admire them and ask if she wouldn't mind cutting some for a bouquet for the table.

If people ask what should they bring, tell them to bring what makes them happy.

Hopefully all the neighbors will get to know each other better and will have a good time and thank you for the great party.

Have a few games ready. Croquet. You could have a list of games on your invite sheet . As in: Does anyone have a croquet set they could bring? Hoola hoops? Checkerboard? Or???

I can make up games at the drop of a hat. PM me if you need any long distance assistance.

Sometimes, half the fun of a party is the excitement of anticipation. lol I am already thinking of all the fun and all the new people you will meet.

LL

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Do you think there is some racial animus?

Not really. I wouldn't call it that. It's not like anyone has been outright hostile towards me. I imagine there are a lot of factors at play.

My current neighborhood in squarely in the midst of suburbia and is populated by the type of people seeking an enclave and wanting to get away from the inner city. If there's a burglary 5 miles away everyone is going to hear about it. Neighborhood watch meetings will probably be convened. I don't really live here by choice. My office is in this town and I don't see the point in living in the city and having a reverse commute.

The neighborhood website I mentioned earlier has threads started by neighbors warning of the dangers of hiring "illegals" to mow your lawn. In other words, it wouldn't surprise me if some of these folks make assumptions based on their paranoia and preconceived notions of me based on my race, marital status, age, etc. I 'm certainly not trying to imply that the reaction is simply a product of racism.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

But why bend over to them. If they chose HOA they are probably insecure. YOU can rule them If you want

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

TD,

You may not remember but we exchanged PMs probably around two years ago. The first home I owned, the one with mostly older neighbors, was in your neck of the woods. I found that the people out there generally liked to be left alone, though, at least more so than the people from my home state.

• jam
    jam

I moved into a neighborhood and a commmunity meeting was held to

get me and my family out of the neighborhood. A hell of a reception.

We purchase the house with cash. We lived there for 9 years and we

all became great neighbors.. When I moved in they thought i was

trying to make some type of statement. We really, really didn't know

that we were suppose to live on the other side of town. Coming

from California to serve were the need is great, the freinds didn't tell me.

After the neighbors found out that I was A JW, it was OK. LOL

I guess they figured there will be no marching going on...

He's a witness, he's harmless but weird..

But seriously after about year or two we had great neighbors.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Hey, I'm doing okay. Would love to talk to you again and catch up. I'll pm you my new number.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Probably the weirdest neighbourhood in our town is manufactured. There are rules about landscaping the front yard. The houses are more expensive simply by being there. As a consequence it's filled with fastidious people holding down two jobs each, only shop at Whole Foods, their children are leashed, and their chief concern is that someone on their street is going to mess up their version of paradise.

Ick.

Poodle Carried

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

That dog is so cute!

My immediate neighbours are friendly but not in your face.

I understand where you are coming from Apognophos. As a singleton living alone in my house I feel I'm the object of certain suspicions.........you know man on his own, wonder what his 'inclinations' are.

And they'd be rght

If you can get yourself a dog to walk, people are much friendlier & start talking. Women feel less threatened by a single man when you have dog with you .....make sure it's not one on the dangerous breed list though as then everyone will cross to the other side of the road when they see you coming!

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

We live in a subdivision with an HOA. We attend the annual meeting and stay up to date on plans for the communal area, etc.

An active HOA keeps home values from declining. When a foreclosure was sitting empty and the bank was not maintaining it, the HOA kept the yard looking nice. Also several elderly homeowners need help maintaining their landscape and the HOA takes care of it.

When we were considering buying this house we read the HOA requirements first, to make sure we could comply. We appreciate living with neighbors who want to cooperate in having a nice environment and swimming pool facility.

There are opportunities to speak with neighbors, such as Halloween, HOA sponsored picnic at the pool, yearly yard sale and regular walkers/dog walkers. But there aren't any regular gatherings in the street or visiting from house to house. People working in their yard will wave when we pass. That's about it.

I think most homeowners feel scared to get too involved with their neighbors, in case some enmity might develop and then they are stuck living near somebody they don't like. My husband says, "They don't want to get started with all that."

Marina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit