Do you know your neighbors? Is it just me?

by neverendingjourney 37 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I'm a single Hispanic guy in my mid 30s living by myself in suburban America. I own a home in the kind of neighborhood where you have to get HOA permission to do just about anything, including chopping down a tree. I'm a white collar worker and lead a pretty boring life. I don't throw loud crazy parties or do anything that would annoy my neighbors. I maintain my lawn. I've owned this house just over a year.

Not a single neighbor has taken the time to try to get to know me. When I was moving in an old lady stopped her car and instead of introducing herself she started yeling at me about some trash left in the front yard by the prior owners. There was nothing against the rules about it. You're allowed to leave it out the day before so long as you've called the city to have the heavy trash unit come out and get it, which they did.

I left the country on business a month or two after I moved in and I knocked on my next door neighbor's house. I introduced myself and gave him my cell phone number in case somebody needed to get a hold of me while I was gone. He was very nice. I've since knocked on his door a few times to deliver mail that was accidentally put in my mailbox and he's been curt with me. Not overly rude, but not friendly either.

My other next door neighbor appears to be a single mother with a bunch of kids. There might be a husband, but I've never seen anyone other than her and her four or five kids. She stares at the ground when she walks out of her house like she's avoiding making eye contact on purpose. There is a neighborhood website and I started a thread there about termites. We communicated and she even gave me a recommendation on a pest control company. Still, whenever I see her, she stares at the ground.

An ice cream truck stopped in front of my house a while back and I used it as an opportunity to make conversation with my neighbor across the street. It was very short and awkward. He didn't seem to have any interest beyond being polite. I never heard from him again.

This isn't the first house I've owned. I owned a home in a different state and the reception was much the same. Instead of the neighborhood being populated by 30/40 something year old couples with a bunch of kids, it was mostly populated by older people. With the exception of one friendly woman who stopped to introduce herself, I got the cold shoulder from everyone. I even spotted a neighbor across the street peering out of her window one day when I was working on the lawn. My dad came for a prolonged visit once and brought his dog. Within a few days there was an unsigned hand written note on my door complaining about the dog barking.

This is a very long way of introducing my question: Does this sound normal to you? Do people normally have some kind of a relationship with their neighbors?

It could be that people just tend to keep to themselves and there's nothing out of the ordinary here, but I fear people might see a single Hispanic guy who drives a sports car and assume he's a drug runner or some such thing. There was a guy who once told me a single guy living in a family neighborhood might make parents fear he's some kind of pervert. It had never crossed my mind, but maybe that expalins some of it.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

• nugget
    nugget

We are lucky to live in a pleasant neighbourhood, I know most of my close neighbours and give art lessons to the lady across the street. We chat with most of them from time to time and will let them know if they left their car lights on or if we are having people over. Mind you it is a rural community and the local shop keepers recognise you and pass the time of day with you seeing the same people day after day builds a sense of community.

My parents live in a wealthier street and they have little or nothing to do with their neighbours.

• stillin
    stillin

It must be really disappointing to be a Hispanic living in the US. What we call a "community" here just means a collection of residences behind a gate. The Hispanic community here in my small town is very tight. They network like crazy. If one of them can't help you, he probably knows another one who can.

us Gringos are too uptight to enjoy each other.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I guess it depends where you live.

I live on the South Coast in England and people here are not noted for being over friendly. However, I get on well with most of my neighbours except one family who simply will not speak despite having lived here for 30 years. They don't speak to my neighbours either so I guess it's not just us.

George

• sporece
    sporece

This is life in the United states. People have their life and mingle very little with neighbors, maybe a brief "Hello" or small talk.

It has nothing to do with you being Hispanic. Move to Europe if you want more excitement and social life.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Single white guy here. My experience has been that my neighbors have zero interest in getting to know me, except for one lady who's outgoing towards her neighbors, and introduced herself when I moved in. The others seem to intentionally ignore me and never introduce themselves even though I try to always look approachable and friendly. That being said, I'm too shy to introduce myself to them, so I can't really claim that I tried to say "hello" and they gave me the cold shoulder.

Even though I kind of prefer to not have to interact with them, I'm strangely disappointed in them for not even wanting to look at me or wave when I'm nearby. I expect more of other people, in this way, than I expect from myself, because I know that I'm way more introverted than the average person. I would certainly be friendly if they came around. And it's useful to know a little bit about your neighbors and to have a line of communication open with them.

Probably the culture is different in neighborhoods with more folksy people. I've heard the Midwest still is neighborly. But I do also think that if we had families, neighbors would be more open to talking to us. It seems like being a family man just says, "Hey, I'm a safe, normal guy." That being said, I am in no way normal, so that would be a misleading impression to give

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

This is life in the United states. People have their life and mingle very little with neighbors, maybe a brief "Hello" or small talk.

I was making small talk with a co-worker a few days ago, a guy in his 60s, and he mentioned in passing that he couldn't imagine not knowing who his neighbors were. He wasn't talking about me and I forget the context in which the conversation came up, but it caused this issue to resurface in my mind. I don't know what's typical and what's not. I suspect people's experiences vary a lot by region, demographics, etc. Just interested in getting a feel for whether my experience is out of the ordinary or not.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Single white guy here. My experience has been that my neighbors have zero interest in getting to know me, except for one lady who's outgoing towards her neighbors, and introduced herself when I moved in. The others seem to intentionally ignore me and never introduce themselves even though I try to always look approachable and friendly. That being said, I'm too shy to introduce myself to them, so I can't really claim that I tried to say "hello" and they gave me the cold shoulder.

Sounds a lot like what I've experienced.

• jam
    jam

Maybe because you are single guy is why you are getting the cold

shoulder. Or maybe because of your age. We are one of the oldest in

our neighborhood, young ones move in and I'm sure they figure

they have nothing in common with us old folks.

So if the neighborhood is well established with old timers it may

take awhile, they are checking you out.LOL You are the new kid on

the block..

If you were a single woman you may have gotten a different reception.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

We live in a new neighborhood with a lot of young families and everyone is very outgoing and approachable. Halloween in our neighborhood is a circus! Christmas is a decorating competition (friendly-like). I attribute this to all the young couples and people with kids in the area. Everyone is new to the block, so everyone is starting out in the same "boat".

That being said I have lived in an older neighborhood, where the residents were much older, the kids grown and gone - and yes, no one talked to us either. There were people that had lived there 50-60 years and had estabilished relationships with other neighbors. We were just the newbies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit