TAKE IT EASY!! DON'T SAY THAT AFTER A CONVERSATION!

by NoMoreHustle 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NoMoreHustle
    NoMoreHustle

This drives me insane when I am rebutted after I say "Well TAKE IT EASY brother so & so" after a small conversation. They always seem to reply "We are in Jehovah's organization there is no TAKING IT EASY" or "We are in the last days brother we don't have time to TAKE IT EASY"

I guess this makes me a care-free man of the world rather than a spiritual man!! YES I'M A MAN OF THE WORLD NMH

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I remember getting very annoyed at my mother's reaction when I was much in my teens and a bank teller said take it easy as we left. She said under her breath "what if I don't want to take it easy?" It was so juvenile, it really stuck with me. I had no idea, though that it was a common jw thing.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hello NoMoreHustle, I don't know what part of the world you are from, but personally, I have never heard that rebuttal expression before. I agree with you. lol It would drive me crazy too.

In Southern California, beach area, a common expression (used to be?) in parting to religious people or normal people, "Don't work too hard". lol The response to that was to smile, wave and so, "Okay. I'll try not to". It was harmless banter among friends.

It was also an accepted expression when parting to say, "Have fun". This covered whatever you are doing. lol

Those expressions had never been heard in the immigrant, farming community area I had the privilege of moving to, after I said at the Kingdumb Hall, "I do"...

LL

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I've never heard of this particular hang-up before. It's funny to see how people get persnickety about meaningless phrases. Some people are incredibly irritated by "Have a good one" or saying, "How are you?" to someone while passing them. And let's not forget how right-wing Christians feel about "Happy holidays!".

• jam
    jam

Take it easy breezy is an old saying.....In a heated argument when you

see the veins in the guy neck and he getting ready to punch you

in the face or when someone is leaving, take it easy or take it slow....

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

And then there are the grumps who object to someone saying 'Have a nice day'. Their usual reaction is: 'Don't tell ME what kind of day to have!' Some sourpusses just don't seem to get that commonly-used pleasantries are NOT to be taken literally. Such comments are just meant to make everyday interactions a bit more pleasant. What's the harm in that??

• hoser
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Yes....there were always those who could never give the JW thing a rest for even a moment.

Simply having someone tell them to take it easy would prompt the holier than thou response ," The Bible tells us to 'Be Fully Engaged' in exerting ourselves vigorously in your ministry" (Luke 13:24)

GAG

• Quendi
    Quendi

I remember an elder condemning the phrase "Take it easy" from the platform during a circuit assembly program. He stated that "Jehovah's people don't think about taking it easy during these dangerous last days." I thought he was absolutely right and purged the words from my speech, only to realize much later how fanatical and unreasonable that was. But I was a deep kool-aid drinker in those days and loved every last drop.

Quendi

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

At one time (usually after a CO visit) people kept saying "I just hate that word fantastic!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit