Is Faith Immoral?

by Coded Logic 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

No one is choosing a lesser path. Most people don't read newspaper, magazines, etc. Books are forbidden. I see them in a Christian book store. They have no self confidence that they can read and interpret the simplest Bible verse on their own. They depend on their pastors who are not well informed.

• Terry
    Terry

Not to repeat myself (repeat myself repeat myself) but the one positive advantage of Faith is in the fact

it prevents the person of Faith from giving up when the apparent possibility of success is nil.

Mind you . . . it depends on WHAT they refuse to give up as to practical value.

Hanging in there, persistence, indefatigableness are often the traits of a fanatic--however--also the traits of a Winner.

At worst, the person of Faith gets stuck in forward gear on the road to nowhere.

At best, the person of Faith has either a breakthrough or an epiphany he/she would not have otherwise had.

Am I a person of Faith?

Ironically: NO.

I'm stubborn.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I see faith as residing on our emotional side rather than the reasoning side. For all of us, our visceral reactions come from the emotions and we merely use reason to justify our decisions. Occassionally reason can temper, or modify our behaviour.

Not all illogical choices are immoral! Many of us chose our life partners that way!

Selecting the bible over a medical textbook to perform medical procedures is stupid, not immoral. Conducting a medical procedure that could lead to harm is immoral. There's a difference! We still have priests anoint the sick with oil, but they do not stand in the way of modern medicine. For the patient, even though such an anointing is archaic with no medical backing, it may provide solace.

We see modern medicine not standing in the way of many illogical health choices today including a wide range of diet schemes, herbal, micronutrient, anti-gluten, anti-dairy, and other "natural" cures. As long as these schemes don't harm the patient or prohibit the patient from accessing conventional medicine, they are left alone. Why are they left alone? Because as long as they do no harm, it is not immoral!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit