Dr. Kent Bradly and Dr. Nancy Writebol's healings Prove to me there is a God!

by BucketShopBill 30 Replies latest social humour

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Karen Armstrong's book on the Axis religions opened my eyes. C.S. Lewis made the same argument in Mere Christianity. People around the world do good for other people. I suspect Doctors Without Borders has many atheists. Faith or no faith some people are motivated to serve. What loving God would allow the ebola virus? Why these two admittedly good examples but hundreds of others dead. Why did not the colored people in its path receive the experimental vaccine. Emory University could have helped the hundreds of them. It is a dilemna. I've pondered it since preschool. There is no neat answer.

I used to work in antipoverty agencies before attending law school. NYC had a great mayor. It was an exciting time. Catholic Charities impressed me so much. My father would be impressed. They were in the jails, in housing rehabs, soup kitchens,etc. on the front line. Granted, the nuns seemed more sophisticated than the stereotypical nun. I believe in the Social Gospel-and other gospels. I saw frenetic parishoners of my church using a ruler to place the settings at a Thanksgiving Dinner for the homeless. They were served five or six meals. Too much when all they get is watered down soup and pb sandwiches for regular fare.

I started out with a little girl's princess dreams so I've read a fair amount of European history. It is sad to say but the social justice gospel has never gained much steam. Bishops are political animals. Whether a country stayed Roman Catholic or changed to Protestant was mostly a matter of politics rather than religion. I do volunteer but I could do more. The Witnesses have me afraid to commit. Once a priest was standing by the door, bidding people good bye, when I introduced myself as a local student. He said he hoped he would be seeing me. Well, no more Witness orders! I did not stop by for a year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit