So what was Microsoft thinking with Win 8?

by TD 22 Replies latest social entertainment

• TD
    TD

I know some of you are in the field and many others are hobbyists and enthusiasts.

Aside from a tablet/smart phone OS, what were they thinking?

I don't know a single desktop user (e.g. Architects, Engineers running AutoCAD, Solid Works, etc.) that doesn't break into profanity when this subject comes up.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Microsoft wasn't doing any thinking...that's the problem.

I curse the day I started using Win 8 (not that I had any choice).

• Terry
    Terry

The race to be as cool as a Mac simply amounts to a list of features and benefits on paper.

Practical implementation has always been a separate problem.

iPhone is going to respond to Android's larger screens with the new release of iPhone 6.

Competition is a good thing, but the pragmatic side exists in the real world use, alas.

• TD
    TD

I've heard speculation that Microsoft wanted to force people to become familiar with the interface, thinking that familiarity would make it sell better as an alternative smart phone OS.

That's kinda, sorta believable, but it hasn't been too many years since the Bank of Americas, AIGs and Charles Scwabbs of the world were livid over the ribbon menu in Office, which was a relatively minor change.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I don't know a single desktop user (e.g. Architects, Engineers running AutoCAD, Solid Works, etc.) that doesn't break into profanity when this subject comes up.

Add accountants and freelance writers to that list. I'm using Windows 7 on my desktop and laptop, my wife has 8 on hers. I can't use it and it completely crashed about a month after we got it. I spent days restoring stuff from the backup I had on the desktop. I now have both computers on Carbonite (I transfer new stuff from my laptop to desktop right away).

I think Microsoft is engaging in what used to be called "planned obsolesence," they have to sell new product every couple of years to stay in business. I was happy with XP, I will fight going to 8 as long as possible.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I always get a whiff of Satan when I turn on my computer.

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

Balmer was thinking: Can we repeat the success of Windows Vista once again?

• TD
    TD
    Can we repeat the success of Windows Vista once again?

I'd call Win 8 head and shoulders above Vista for the magnitude of the SNAFU.

Win 9 is supposed to be unveiled the end of next month, so Win 8 could end up being one of the shortest iterations.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The ripened, fetid smell of day-old pork and sauerkraut passing through my intestines is better than Win 8.

Rub a Dub

• baltar447
    baltar447

Microsoft is putting out windows 9 preview in 8-10 weeks. Btw i like windoes 8 (long time IT guy here) just install classic shell. Gives the classic start menu back. The file explorer and speed enhancements are worth it but only with classic shell.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit