Ministy School - Endless, without graduation - How could we?

by 4thgen 17 Replies latest jw friends

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Yesturday, I was talking to a friend and she said that in order to get a degree from a local college, they require a completed a public speaking course. I said that was no problem, because I had been in a public speaking school for 40 years. She looked at me like I had three heads. I said that I was in a Theocratic Ministry school for over 40 years and never graduated. As I was explaining it, she started to laugh. Then I laughed too, when I realized how stupid it all sounded. What are your experiences in trying to explain the silliness of a certain JW activity?

• KateWild
    KateWild

Most JWs only get 2 talks a year and remain on the same counsel point "Accurate Reading" which everyone else is on.

My son at about age 8/9 was so purturbed by being put on the same counsel point all the time, just got up on the platform and did loads of gestures lol, so the overseer had to change his counsel point. Bless him, he's 12 now and an atheist. He see's all the hypocrisy in the KH and the org.

Kate xx

• sir82
    sir82

I never really learned anything from the TMS. It's just that repeatedly going up in front of a crowd of 80-100 people eventually removed the stage fright from the experience of speaking in front of crowds.

• blondie
    blondie

jws only learned if the school overseer actually was qualified...I had one for several years that I learned from. Most just comment on your dress and grooming and give you a high five. The new process of even more rules or procedure were mainly designed for the inept and lazy school overseers.

• sporece
    sporece

We had one SO back in Chicago, Polish brother with a thick accent that was a real jerk, being judgemental and making many sister cry after he gave his counsel.

• cult classic
    cult classic

When we were kids my sister started crying and said "I don't want to give anymore talks!! What kind of school do you have to go to and NEVER graduate from?"

• Dagney
    Dagney

After my last talk the MSO said from the platform "I had a hard time finding anything wrong with your talk." So I decided I graduated and told him so the next time he tried to hand me a talk slip. After 40 years or so I figured I was good.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I un enrolled from the Ministry school after particularly strong and condesending counsel was given to me from the platform. I was amazed to learn that you did NOT have to give talks at all !!

My first taste of freedom.

Being an elders daughter, I had been giving talks starting at a very young age. I NEVER got used it it and only confirmed my fear of public speaking.

• prologos
    prologos

Public speaking is firstly about being intimidated by the audience, and with time the TMS cures you of that. The "school" is also about power over you, that is why you never graduate. they have eternal power over you. If you dont belong to the top pharisees, it shows on your assignments. young brothers reading forever. one bright young boy finished his talk "the meek will inherit the earth" with "whenever that happens will be great, in the meantime it is good to have meek people around you", back to reading for him. and the endless reading counsel " ---you must have beein practising a lot--" when in fact he could have read it as well just by giving him an opened bible, cold. A blatand insult. or just dumb talking with all the intellectual power available applied.

we had one school overseer though, that was a collage graduate in Journalism, a tv personality, that spruced up the school for us.

compared to most hamfisted speakers in the clubs in town, JWs do well, even if the material is dated by a few thousand years.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

You don't graduate when you surpass your teachers, they fail you. Actually developing research skills and being a confident speaker/teacher is the GB's worst nightmare. Can you even imagine what that would do to the WTBTS?

The GB prefer the intellectually stifling "one room school house" approach. The natural boredom that manifests itself over time is labeled as "independent thinking". Surpassing your instructors by learning to reason, as opposed to reciting the lesson, is haughtiness and apostasy.

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit