The Internet Proves JWs Are a Joke Now

by jw07 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jw07
    jw07

I'm a born in, born in the 1980s and old enough to remember studying beefy (albeit full of crap) material like the the evolution book and Revelation book (which we studied over and over and over and over). Books and brochures were wordy and chock full of legalistic language explaining away teachings and policies, some explanations slightly above the IQ of the average person.

Watchtower studies were longer (30 paragraphs sometimes), talks were longer and thus meetings were longer, pioneering was harder (70 hours if I remember correctly), assemblies and conventions were longer, and there were intricate food provisions to feed thousands of people (for a cost of course).

The average JW could recite Watchtower propaganda for hours to indoctrinate others or defend their faith. JWs were interested in having meaty discussions at the door and challenging even pastors on doctrinal points.

I know this has been said many times, but the organization has gone through a massive DUMBING DOWN.

I can't figure out if it's due to the oblivious nature of the current Governing Body, a premeditated attempt by them at dumbing down the organization, or just the effects of life becoming easier around the globe due to reliance on technology.

I can only speak on my era, and I know that from the early 90s until around 2004 the organization was allot more doctrine savy.

Over the past decade or so I'd say the collective IQ of the followers has moved from 105 to 85.

Indoctrination and blind belief has allot to do with being prone to be emotionally manipulated, but thinking ability has a say in that too.

Social media is a decent gauge of how and what the average person within a certain demographic is thinking, and doing a simple hashtag search on Twitter, Instagram, or Facebook reveals allot about how the current generation of young JWs (15-28 or thereabout) are thinking.

Many have become self obsessed, internet obsessed, hubris filled and passive, I can see an even bigger decline in growth over the next 5 years.

Take a look:

http://instagram.com/jehovahswitnesses1914 (I hope this is really an apostate, nobody in their right mind could be oblivious to all this borderline 'apostate' material.

Instagram - search hashtag #governingbody (the governing body is literally now worshipped by them)

Instagram - search hashtag #jwboys (JW males showing off themselves online)

Instagram - search hashtag #jwgirls (JW females showing off themselves online)

Instagram - search hashtag #jwwedding (no need for explanation)

Instagram - search hashtag #jwcomedy

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

They are a joke now.

• Londo111
    Londo111

The Daniel book was the last "meaty" publication. Around 2000/2001, the publications were dumbed down and the tone grew harsher.

• NoMoreHustle
    NoMoreHustle

I agree 100%. The photos that they are posting are alarming. I am not trying to slam them for having fun or express themselves but this type of thing even 5 years ago would be unheard of. It looks like the ORG is loosening up but we know that it is the other way around "IF YOUR NOT WITH US THAN YOUR AGAINST US"

The GB has got to be promoting all of this crap (or looking other way) JW Instagram etc. It's all about MARKETING there BUSINESS! People on there are acting like bafoons sometimes & the corniest pictures I have ever seen. It is truly embarrassing!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I disagree. It was always dumbed down. Nothing new is happening. I never heard of any encounter with ministers at the door. We were forbidden to work rectories. I never met any minister in the community who felt defeated by WT. They laugh at JWs and their almost complete lack of Bible knowledge.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I think you might be over estimating the IQ of the average JWs in the 90s. I don't think average was ever above 100 for them... I think the prevalence of really obviously unintelligent people in the org was my very first concern about the religion.

• baltar447
    baltar447

They've been dumbing down since the Knowledge book came out.

• clarity
    clarity

One of the big problems is that wt demands

that they not think critically & says n ot to research,

they will do it for them. So being a bit lazy, they

take the line of least resistance ...& just say OK!!!!

clarity

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Shameless marketing, worship of leaders, sexy photos, the appearance of leniency with the underlying message of " Join us or die!!" They are just like a mini-Catholic Church.

DD

• Magnum
    Magnum

Band on the Run: I disagree. It was always dumbed down. Nothing new is happening. I never heard of any encounter with ministers at the door.

I disagree with the above comment and agree with the opening post. It might have been dumbed down, but it was not nearly as dumbed down as it is now. JWdom is far more simple-minded now. The older publications were meatier. I remember the days of JWs doing doctrinal battle with all sorts including ministers. I myself have personally debated with numerous ministers.

I think the reason for the dumbing down is that the org knows that now with all the access to knowledge (internet), it can no longer defend its doctrines, so it's playing it safe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit