October 1914? Really?

by sylvlef 65 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sylvlef
    sylvlef

KM august 2014, page 3 paragraph 6(article for This week's service meeting):

"the month of october 2014 Will see the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the kingdom. For This occasion a special édition of the Watchtower Will be on This theme."

according to jw littérature world war 1 was the beggining of the kingdom in 1914. But This war started in august. So what is the rationalisation for saying That the kingdom was specifically to Begin in october 1914? Not august,not september but october?

i don't remember This one...or was it ever teached?

• smiddy
    smiddy

That sneaky Satan , he knew JC was going to set up his kingdom in October , so he jumped the gun and started WW1 in august to try and confuse things , he`s cunning you know.

smiddy

• integ
    integ

They are changing everything so fast it doesn't even matter anymore to the rank and file. The important thing now is just to obey whatever the self appointed fds says and not worry about anything else.

• steve2
    steve2

Oh what's a month or two or three when you are the exclusive channel of Jehovah, the one True God or the universe? And what audacity you show by questioning this hallmark Watchtower teaching!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This is an important question for JW's to answer, because you then do not have to get in to the whole 607BCE thing, just make them explain this October nonsense.

I expect though, their attitude will be the same as an Elder who pointed this very question out to me years ago, he just shrugged his shoulders, as if to say, "Well I can't understand it, but the W.T must have this right".

He remains a JW to this day, you can see why.

Perhaps Blondie may confirm, but to my memory the WT have never properly explained it.

• cofty
    cofty

The Jewish secular calendar begins with Rosh HaShana that is marked by the blowing of the shafar on 1st Tishri which is equivalent to October.

Russell got his chronology from Barbour who got it from Bishop Ussher who asserted that Adam was created on Sunday 23rd October 4004 BC

I think they then assume that all significant events correspond with this date.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Makes as much sense as overlapping generations I suppose, but if they are going by Ussher's calcs, I presume that is why they talk of the evening of a particular day in October ? I think he worked out that Adam was created one evening, ??

Conveniently they can assume that Babylon fell one evening in October 539 BC, though I doubt they could prove that outside of the Bible.

This silly little religion just gets more wacky the more you pick it apart.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

w50 8/15 p. 243 par. 2 "The Increase of His Government "The sign shows that the Gentile times ended in 1914, with World War I as a marker."

• Splash
    Splash

There's a confusing statement from the 1950's:

*** w53 2/15 p. 119 par. 23 When Will God’s Kingdom Come? ***God knew that Satan the wicked one would attempt to turn the attention of the people away from God’s kingdom when it was established. So it was when Satan was ousted from the heavens down to the earth. He was wrathful. He plunged the nations into World War I. He wanted to turn the attention of the people away from the significant event that then was taking place and he proceeded to do so in the most deceptive ways.

In summary:

1. When the kingdom was established, Satan would divert peoples attention from it.
    2. This is what happened when Satan was ousted from heaven.
    3. Satan plunged the nations into WW1

So it says two conflicting things:

All these things must have happened prior to October, since that's when WW1 started.
    However all these things are linked to the establishing of the kingdom which happened in October.

I've tried, but I can't grasp this.

Splash

• cofty
    cofty

Ussher asserted that - Adam and Eve were driven from Paradise on Monday 10 November 4004 BC, and that the ark touched down on Mt Ararat on 5 May 2348 BC `on a Wednesday'.

We were members of a cult whose founder took this sort of nonsense seriously.

Splash - Trying to understand Russell's ramblings is a fool's errand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit