Your "Things That Make You Go Hmmm?" List

by FlyingHighNow 63 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'll wager that the number is close to 100 percent. What number? The number of JWs who have lists--lists of things that make them go hmmm or even wha'??? or huhhh? I had one. I'm sure most of you had such a list. For me, eventually, there were enough things on the list to make me realize my doubts could not be further ignored. I'll give you my list later.

What was on your list?

• jgnat
    jgnat

How can an all-loving and all-powerful God fail to act in the face of suffering and injustice?

Why doesn't the "conversion glow" last?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Good questions, Jgnat.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My largest concern was why God hated humans so much. This is far worse than a mere omission. He is credited with human catastrophes. The Flood myth is one example. This concept of God affected me in my personal life. The Catholics Jesus seemed more loving and kind. Next, why does God hate women in particular? There could have been a time out for Adam and Eve. Child labor caused by Eve? Our bodies are constructed a certain way. Finally, why could we not live in a world full of princesses and Barbies, garbed in organdy dresses with wide satin sashes and mary jane shoes.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thank you, BOTR. Interesting to read the things that bothered you personally.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

After I was baptized in the '80s I was on the fast-track for privileges: carrying microphones, Ministerial Servant, Literature Servant, Talk Coordinator. You name it: they asked, I said, "Yes!" enthusiastically.

One night two elders approached me and asked me if there was any reason that I could't serve as an elder.

I distinctly remember thinking, "If you prayed about this and Holy Spirit approved your recommendation, then why are you asking me this question?"

I of course shoved this cognitive dissonance inducing thought aside and said no. After serving as an elder for over 20 years I finally became absolutely convinced that Holy Spirit has nothing to do with anything that happens in this organization.

I used to go, "Hmmmm!"

Now I prefer saying, "Let's review: It's a cult!"

- -

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

This is timely for me, I was thinking of making the very same thread a couple hours ago.

My list in no particular order:

Stance on higher education

WWI starting early (I.e. before the last days were supposed to start in Oct.)

The switch from 1914=Armageddon to 1914=last days made after nothing happened.

What's all this I hear in hushed tones about 1975?

If we're supposed to be gathering together "all the more so as [we] behold the day drawing near" why are meetings/conventions/assemblies being shortened or eliminated?

Similar confusion on the reduction in the requirement for pioneers

They'd talk about how Satan can influence us through the lyrics of worldly songs one week, then go on and on about how important it is to sing along at the meetings the next.

Apostate paranoia (surely if they deal in half truths and lies, they could easily be shown to be wrong)

DFing (my hard to silence doubt was "that seems like something a cult would do... But I guess it's scriptural so it must be for a good reason")

The whole system of rules around dating always seemed designed to lead to kids getting married before they're really ready, and that certainly seemed to be the end result.

While I accepted the blood ban the exceptions (vaccines and later fractions) never made sense. That being so, I was still glad to take advantage of the exceptions if needed.

The fact that I'd practically have to be lobotomized to enjoy paradise, as essentially all of my hobbies and interests rely on stuff that's never been depicted in the pictures of it. Not to mention the whole being vegan thing...

When they added credit/debit machines at the assemblies and conventions after my entire youth was spent listening to them rail against churches in Christendom for having ATMs in the lobby.

The "running of the bulls" and many other arrangements around the conventions and assemblies seemed to lack the love that was supposed to be characteristic of true Christians.

Counting and printing service time and announcing pioneers seemed to go against the counsel to not let your left hand know what the right is doing

The impossibility of the Noah's ark story

Evidence that humans didn't originate 6000 years ago in the area they identified as the garden of Eden

There never seemed to be any prophesies that were fully understood before their fulfillment

The violence in the OT never sat well

I think I could keep going, but the longer this list gets the more embarrassing it is that it took me so long to wake up.

• prologos
    prologos

1962, as special pioneers conduct bible study with knowledgable baptist " let god be true book' light brown colour, subject: superior authorities.

me making brilliant defense of an indefensible position, not losing argument in my estimation, superior: jehovah, jesus, definitely authorities.

arrive back at night in 'pioneer home' to find brown wrapper on bed, bethel style, watchtower subscription. rip open looking for new lite, any scrap of exiting spiritual news:

yeah, Superior Authorities ARE the governments as baptists knew. and wt workers did not.

made to look like a fool by wt.

vowed there and then: never again.

tiptoeing through the rose garden ever since.

they will not fool me twice.

if there is a directing, meddling spirit,---and I do not think there really is, --- this would be one well staged, well timed co-incidence.

to wake me up.

up up and away.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

These are great lists. I will comment more tomorrow night. I have to work tomorrow. Have to get to bed. Keep them coming.

One eyed Joe, great minds think alike?

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

The violence in the OT never sat well

God is a serial killer. Straight up.

I un-friended Him many years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit