Are we nitpicking???

by jam 20 Replies latest social humour

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yeah, you might be a Jehovah's Witnesss:

If someone says "bless you" after you sneeze, you inform them that it's based on fear of demons not done by true Christians

If someone wishes you Merry Christmas, you grit your teeth and refuse to respond.

If someone makes a toast you refuse to join, making everyone else uncomfortable.

You will eat birthday cake, but only the day after the party.

You buy Halloween candy the day after Halloween.

• jam
    jam

Where did the term nitpicking originate.

Is the act of removing nits (eggs of lice, generally head lice)

from the host's hair. As the nits are cemented to individual

hairs, they cannot be removed with most lice combs (logic).

This is a slow and laborious process(opening the eyes of love ones)

as the root of each individual hair (doctrine) must be examined

for infestation (mind control).

As nitpicking inherently requires fastidious, meticulous attention to

details.

There we go!!!! How appropriate. LOL

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

I nitpick. I have had it with the craziness. My jw spouse is being a donkey because of this religion. I live with the consequences of not falling in line every day. If I went along, went to meetings, went in service...Basically if I was fake, then all would be good. So ya, every little thing, every stupid talk, homophobic scare tactic, etc. Drives me nuts. I am depressed, angry, frustrated...

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Every relationship that ends painfully goes through a period of nitpicking. Even the woman or man you maybe once loved and adored and admired can suddenly become annoying, rude, insensitive, spotty, ugly, fat and smelly and outright obnoxious in every imaginable way in your eyes once you discover they have betrayed you by sleeping with your best friend behind your back.

It's the reverse of falling in love.

• happy@last
    happy@last

I found it astonishing how JWs analyze every minute detail of Greek and Hebrew (allegedly) to work out the days we live in and yet don't even know how their god's name is pronounced. It just seems weird to me.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

I found it astonishing how JWs analyze every minute detail of Greek and Hebrew (allegedly) to work out the days we live in and yet don't even know how their god's name is pronounced. It just seems weird to me.

Apparently calculating dates and chronology is much easier then getting names perfect because in Hebrew there were no vowels written. How names really sounded is just guesswork.

Like most early Semitic alphabetic writing systems, the alefbet has no vowels. People who are fluent in the language do not need vowels to read Hebrew, and most things written in Hebrew in Israel are written without vowels.

However, as Hebrew literacy declined, particularly after the Romans expelled the Jews from Israel, the rabbis recognized the need for aids to pronunciation, so they developed a system of dots and dashes called nikkud (points). These dots and dashes are written above, below or inside the letter, in ways that do not alter the spacing of the line. Text containing these markings is referred to as "pointed" text. Pronunciations are approximate.

My name: Ds-Mmbr could be pronounced a thousand different ways of you insert all the possible vowel variations.

We really don't have a clue what God's name is. What right does anyone have to just make one up for him?

• SuperBoy
    SuperBoy

I think sometimes we can over analyse things as "JW" traits, when at times they can be personality traits or something not necessarily specificially related to JWs.

However, it's FUN. For years we've been told never question, never analyse, never use 'higher reasoning'.

So it's only natural that when we are free we go a bit overboard. Haha.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I've actually thought about this. But as was said before, I think it's mostly just venting on people's part.

I think there are people on this forum who will find a way to blame the WT for every evil under the sun. And I usually just roll my eyes when people dig up WT articles from 50 years ago, as if they've discovered some golden nugget that's going to expose them.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

jam - "Are we nitpicking???"

No.

x

That being said...

...if it weren't for nitpickers, the world would be overrun with nits.

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

LOL vidiot. Put on your nit - pickers and pick some nits!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit