I think this is closure for me.

by quellycatface 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Been having a "good old clearout" this week and one of the areas I have gone through is the personal stuff. You know, old letters, photos, postcards and the like.

Well, I have finally got rid of my Baptism cards. The congratulations cards....the WT ones, the ones with sheep on etc.... All gone. They dated back to 23/09/2000.

Has anyone else "purged" their witness past this way?

It feel really good but in a calm way.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I just burned all my Bound Volumes and some other WT crap literature, along with magazine folders and the like.

That felt cathartic.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well done quelly and phizzy...

I have been steadily chucking out books etc for years now....(originally I felt bad...but I got over that)

I used the excuse that I didn't need to keep them as it was all online, and we needed the space...now Im just glad to get rid of it!

Heck, I take home boxes full of new stuff from the hall and chuck it out when no one is looking!

But, I realise now how valuable the older references are, as the proof of how the society has rewritten history and past articles is atrocious!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh and sorry quelly...back on track now..

yes I threw out all my old cards and pioneer and bethel books etc. my reasoning is:

"the society and all my past conditional friends will throw me out when they realise I'm a deadly apostate, so it's fitting I throw out all witness stuff!"

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Got rid of everything a few years ago. Some witnesses came to our door a few years back, and my husband gave them a box of wt books I had in the garage waiting for garbage day! It seemed like they didn't really want them , but graciously accepted them.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" But, I realise now how valuable the older references are, as the proof of how the society has rewritten history and past articles is atrocious!"

Yes I agree Stuck, I did have the foresight to retain some old stuff, including old mags with really damning stuff in them, a few old Rutherford books, and a complete set of Russell's Studies in the Scriptures, just in case I need to prove the madness and lies to a JW one day.

But I also realise I have burned some other stuff that may have been useful in this regard, however, I think if a person is honest hearted, just one example of the WT lies should be enough to prove it ain't da truf.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I moved to another state at the time I left, so I gave every thing the old heave ho, it felt marvelous. I think it's an important step in moving on from cult life, you realize there is nothing of value in these things, that you are free of that influence.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

All I've been able to do so far was tear up my blood card. That was the day of my joining this site, and a few days after reading essentially all the content of JWfacts.

I don't have that many books or whatever and never got a single cult-related card from someone, so there's not that much for me to clean out

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

What comes to mind are my Public Talks/Outlines.

Still haven't been able to toss them. Though there is no doubt that I will NEVER deliver a public talk again, I have a lot of work involved in them and they did mean something to me with that former group of peers.

Doc

• outforever
    outforever

I long long while ago - I tried to throw away the NWT - but could not ( I then still believed in a god) but after seeing it lying around I just threw it out!! no need for it at all as it is just a story that I have heard over and over again - its not true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit