Is Prophecy important?

by EA916 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    The evidence against a single author for Isaiah is totally compelling even if it did not contain a single word of "prophecy".
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Yes, we can clearly see in the Gospel of Luke (and also Matthew) that the people had interpreted Daniel to be saying that the Messiah should be arriving around 33 A.D.

No, it doesn't say that at all. First, these were written dozens of years after the event in a language different from the people that would have been speaking in the narrative by people who did not witness the events.

Second, no one mentioned a year in any of those scriptures, certainly not 33 AD as that dating scheme is a later invention. It would have been gibberish to people then.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

EA916,

If we believe the Bible is inspired of God then the prophecies are important.

If we believe the Bible is NOT inspired of God then the prophecies are NOT important.

If we are compassionate toward our fellow man then whether we believe the Bible is inspired or not we have nothing to worry about spiritually speaking.

From what I have seen just about all here have compassion for their fellow man so you are in a good place though not spiritually encouraging. But that's life.

Frank

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Have you researched the original reason why the "Two-Isaiah" theory originated?
    It was because the skeptic could not believe that a detailed prophecy was written in advance.

That's actually not it at all. It's mainly that in some portions, Isaiah talks about himself quite a bit, then suddenly disappears from the text. At the same line of demarcation for that change, God also changes from a god seeking vengeance to a god of love and mercy. Also, after chapter 39, the writing style changes twice, once in the portion of returning home and secondly in the portion after they have returned him.

Finally, the Talmud claims that King Hezekiah wrote Isaiah.

So, next time you decide to tell "skeptics" what they think, you may not wish to confuse "skeptic" with "scholar" and actually have taken the time to read what they have written that will tell you what they actually think rather than make up something 100% inaccurate.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    From what I have seen just about all here have compassion for their fellow man so you are in a good place though not spiritually encouraging

Until you can tell me what this "spirituality" thing is that I am lacking, you aren't saying anything.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism
    So one person can't have two different writing styles for two different topics?
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    So one person can't have two different writing styles for two different topics?

Who made that claim? Show me who made it and I will happily refute it.

• galaxie
    galaxie
    Fusion theism... you are beginning to ' guess ' well done keep researching!
  • cofty
    cofty

FT - Would you ever confuse Outlaw's posts for mine, or Perry's for Ruby? Different authors are obvious. Apparently even more so if read in original Hebrew.

Also there is an Babylonian exile context that is assumed from chapter 40 and a post-exile from 55.

It has nothing to do with prophecy.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism
    The bottom line is, no one would ever have thought that two writing styles for two different topics in one book, Isaiah (that has historically always been recognized as one book, going back to 200 BC in the Septuagint), had to have multiple authors unless it predicted events in detail over a century in advance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit