Is Prophecy important?

by EA916 74 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EA916
    EA916
    Hello, I am certainly new to all of this. I have recently been studying the prophecy's, and I was wondering if they are of any importance at all?
  • cofty
    cofty

hello EA916 welcome to the forum.

Very briefly the answer to your question is no. The bible contains no prophecies at all that have ever been fulfilled. It is the work of superstitious people from a pre-scientific world who had the moral instincts of an ISIS warlord.

On the other hand, reality is amazing. There is a limitless amount of things to learn about the world.

Try this blog for some ideas.

IFL Science...

• jhine
    jhine

Hi EA916 , do you mean the WT prophecies ? If you can be a little more specific there is a lot of information on this site .

Jan

• smiddy
    smiddy

Welcome EA916

Jehovah Witnesses have never ever got any of their bible prophecy`s right and for that matter neither has any other religion .

Look at what they wrote in their day , not what they say they meant in today`s publications.

For anybody who doubts the G.B. would be anything but truthful , compare what they actually say in older publications with what they claim they said in today`s publications.

It has been said prophecy`s are never really understood until after their fulfillment , eh ?

In reality they are interpretations after the event.

smiddy

• iwasblind
    iwasblind

Hi EA916

The prophecies relating to Jesus are important to me. If you google probability jesus fulfilling prophecies you will see University studies and the numbers are crazy.

That's what helped me, but the crazy JW fear-mongering obey now prophecies don't mean anything to me.

• cofty
    cofty
    The prophecies relating to Jesus are important to me

There are no prophecies relating to Jesus that can be shown to have been fulfilled after the event. Not one.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Cofty,

I respectfully disagree. There is one in particular that even the most skeptical scholars on earth admit was written at least 160 years before Jesus' birth:

Daniel 9:24-26.

Even Jewish, non-Christian scholars have said that the 69 "sevens" means 69 multiplied by 7 years.

That takes us directly to the year 33 A.D. when Jesus died as Messiah.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I respectfully disagree. There is one in particular that even the most skeptical scholars on earth admit was written at least 160 years before Jesus' birth:

That scripture doesn't say anything about Jesus. In fact, if you don't arbitrarily stop at verse 26, it also says that this "Anointed One" would, in the middle of the 62x7s, abolish sacrifice and cause an abomination and desolation in the temple, which clearly didn't happen, so I've no idea how you are imagining this prophecy was in any way fulfilled.

Even Jewish, non-Christian scholars have said that the 69 "sevens" means 69 multiplied by 7 years.
    That takes us directly to the year 33 A.D. when Jesus died as Messiah.

Except it says there will be 70 7's, one seven, sevens, and 62 7's. Nowhere does it say or allude to 69.

You've still not shown us a prophecy that tells us what will happen, who will do it and when.

• marmot
    marmot

Prophecy is whatever you want it to mean but ultimately it's a load of crap.

If you've never had the chance, try reading The Finished Mystery by Charles Taze Russel.

His prophetic interpretations are gut-bustingly hilarious. Same goes for just about any WT prophetic interpretation, really.

• cofty
    cofty
    Fusion - As Viv has shown, you are cherry-picking phrases out of ambivalent text, and reading meanings back into them that could never be objectively read out of them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit