Controversial Opinion: Why the web site campaign is actually brilliant

by Apognophos 54 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

There's a lot of talk right now about how stupid it is to have JWs hand out leaflets with URLs on them. "Why go to someone's door to tell them they can visit a web site that lets them ask for someone to come to their door?" Well, I'm sorry, but I have to weigh in with a contrary opinion here on how clever the Society is. I was typing this as a reply in an existing thread but decided to make a new topic since the post got a bit long. Okay, so:

--------------------------

Although I don't want it to be a good idea, I honestly think that this campaign actually is a good idea. Think about what goes through the mind of the average householder when someone offers them literature. "Gee, this is a whole magazine I have to read now. Should I take it just to be polite? What are all these articles about? What does it cost? What if they keep coming back because I took something? I've heard they do that." That's assuming they even let the Witness get to the literature offer. Sometimes the Witness starts off asking too many questions and the householder just isn't willing to discuss the meaning of life at 10:00a.m. on a Saturday.

Instead, during this campaign, the presentation is a simple, polite hit-and-run: "Here's a leaflet, no pressure, check it out when you have the time, bye!"

With the leaflet floating around their home, many will eventually check out the web site on their own. Now, keep in mind, the purpose of the web site is not to press a button that sends someone to ring your doorbell. That's just one thing you can do. The site is packed with content. So likely if they have any interest at all, what they are going to is look over what's on the site, and slowly warm up to the teachings (well, the very basic stuff that's uncontroversial), before they consider asking for a visit from a JW.

Now, you might point out that it's an important ingredient in indoctrination to have the face-to-face contact, but I think this is actually a pretty good way to introduce members of the public to the beliefs without the variable of whether a given JW clicks well with the householder and how persuasive they are. Instead the content speaks for itself. Look around the site: there's attractive content here, if you can stifle the reaction you feel to seeing the teachings of the religion. The videos are very polished and will impress the unskeptical. For instance, the "Why Study The Bible?" video effectively tugs at the emotions with its music and imagery.

I think what you guys are overlooking -- and this is a MAJOR factor -- is the power of the visual medium. You guys have seen how popular YouTube is, right? Of course you have. People would rather watch a video that takes 7 minutes to explain how to install Adobe Photoshop than just read a single page of instructions in one minute. Why is YouTube so popular? Because you can be an illiterate idiot and still get around the site okay. Just click on thumbnails, you don't even need to read what the video is about. The comments on videos demonstrate just how low the mental bar is for someone to use the site.

I know this post sounds elitist, but I'm just saying out loud what we already know: the ones most likely to convert to the religion are uneducated and are not comfortable studying books. Many Bible studies have serious "learning disabilities" (that's the PC term for it) and need to have everything repeated to them from the paragraph out loud, three times, before they get it. That's because their oral comprehension is much better than their written comprehension. The jw.org web site takes away the demand of literary comprehension and replaces it with, "Listen to the nice man talk over the pretty pictures." (Of course there are articles too, for those who want them.)

So I actually think the Society knows exactly what they're doing. They know their target audience. It's not "the worldly wise". It's the "humble, child-like ones". They could hardly have made a better move than this to attract potential converts, especially outside of the more well-educated areas of the world that most of us live in. Okay, that's my take on it. Feel free to jump all over me now.

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Agreed.

Also, the post about the average JW can't sell like they should be able to.

It will be interesting to see if it generates results.

You gotta admit, no one else is going door-to-door to tell you to visit websites.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Yes, we'll see.

• jam
    jam

The problem, JW's are a joke in the eyes of people today.

So no one in their right mind after visiting their web site will

be moved to go out knocking on doors...

I'm sure most will be checking out, shunning, blood, Xmas

birthdays and when they read the reason why it is wrong,

by, by WT...

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The campaign isn't a dumb idea. It's dumb that JWS actually believe it to be the greatest witness ever given. The advisors ( probably paid ) to the WTBTS aren't dumb. They know the real history of the BORG. That's why this campaign is taking place, instead of a television commercial or radio advertising. The BORG get FREE labor, keep the J-dumbs busy, and avoid the bulk of the scrutiny that TV or radio ads would generate.

You see, the WTBTS doesn't want to reach everyone. They just want to retain the bulk of their membership and attract enough new ones to make up for those that leave. They have absolutely no intentions of being noticed by EVERYONE. Silly rabbit, service is for dubs!!

DD

• jam
    jam

Data-Dog, I agree. Something to bring excitement to

the RF, it was getting old (door knocking)..Hours may go up for while.LOL

• zeb
    zeb

there is this thought too that many many folk will see the 'other 'JW sites and take alook in them aswell.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I hear dubs talking among themselves. They wonder," Will we start doing campaigns all the time before the END??" What a brilliant idea. A different subject every month. No more mags, only cheap tracts and the website. It can't be kept up forever, but it doesn't have to. It just needs to work long enough for more older dubs to die off. Then some nu-light can be released about 2034.

DD

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I'm thinking its also an attempt to get people away from typing in jehovahs witnesses in to a computer and lessen the chance they will stumble accross a site like this one.

• steve2
    steve2

Well, couldn't the campaign be both brilliant and stupid? It piques some curiosity about JW.org but has limited lasting appeal - especially among those who might have more than a few active brain cells. And among those whose curiosity is piqued, ex-JW sites are a click away. Besides, if my JW sister is any indication, she complained to me that when she went out last Saturday morning, there were more not-at-homes than at-homes - so tracts were left in letterboxes (that's not illegal in New Zealand). I should say that householders would be most unlikely to read trash in the mailbox, let alone follow through with going to the website.

Brilliant and stupid - yes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit