Father denies children inheritance unless they quit Jehovah's Witnesses

by Tiktaalik 26 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am torn on this. People should do whatever they want (in their right mind) with their will and give it to whomever they want. But I hate the stipulations this guy asked for. I mean, it's one thing if they shunned him to exclude them or if they chose to avoid his funeral for JW reasons. It's completely another thing if they were in his life, especially if they did attend the funeral. And it's radically a complete different thing to insist they join another religion and not just leave the JW's.

Still, his money. He can do what he wants.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

The reality must be that he knew they would NEVER change religions and this was the best way to disenherit them. Perhaps he thought it might break the hold on one of them at least, who knows? I am certain he was making sure they wouldn't get anything and would have to realize it was due to their choice not his. Smat guy!

• smiddy
    smiddy

Well if they truly beleive the big " A " is just around the corner what do they want with an inheritance ? ( filthy lucre ) ?

Really , it just shows where JW`s heart is , its all about the money . $$$$$$$$

smiddy

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

poor ba@st@rd - he had no joy getting them out of the Borg while alive so tried to use his will and that failed as well - but good for him for not giving them a brass razoo for staying in the cult though I am less comfortable with him specifying they had to become Catholics.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I've seen JW parents take the same approach with their disfellowshipped children. They've updated their wills to dictate that the disfellowshipped child will receive "X" as an inheritance if they are an active JW, but will receive ZERO if they are not a JW at the time of the parents' death. And same goes for the disfellowshipped child's children. If they are active JWs upon their 18th birthday, they will receive their disfellowshipped parent's portion of the inheritance from a trust; if they are not an active JW, they will receive ZERO.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Tiktaalik:

I believe my father had the same mindset. For years, my parents gave me nothing because they were afraid I would give it to the religion. They were smart.

Religions have a way of wheedling things out of people. I was very generous with things when I was in the religion and I can understand my parents' horror. They must have thought I lost my mind.

Well...all my foolish generosity came to a screeching halt... I am out of the religion now and with what I know....I would feel the same way as the man in the news article.

• undercover
    undercover

A JW reading this shakes their head and makes disparaging remarks about a parent who would demand such a thing...all the while denying their children the oppurtunity for higher education, and then promising their children's inheritance to the Watchtower Society in WT prepared 'giving' documents. Pot...meet Kettle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit