Father denies children inheritance unless they quit Jehovah's Witnesses

by Tiktaalik 26 Replies latest jw friends

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

I know of two different JW's that wrote there dfed kids out of their wills, instead left it all to the borg!

Dwain

• Mum
    Mum

Joan Cetnar was written out of her family's will because she was a JW. She was one of the heiresses to the Kresge family dime store fortune.

Many of you probably never heard of Joan Cetnar or S.S. Kresge. Kresge was the parent company of K-Mart.

Joan Cetnar later left the JW's, but I believe it was too late to claim her share of the family fortune.

If these kids (or adults) ever wake up, there might be much weeping and "gnashing of teeth." Wow!

• bigmac
    bigmac

i was going to leave mine to my 3 kids--2 of which are active dubs.

but --on second thoughts--i'm going to blow the lot instead

party time !

• steve2
    steve2

This is a topic that has "worked" against potential beneficiaries "several" different ways: JWs have been written out of family wills, JWs themselves have written non-JW members out of their wills, ex-JWs have written JW members out of their wills, and so on. On the quiet, my JW sister will not see a red cent from me.

When it comes to not getting one's (rightful?) inheritance, the world is full of bruised sensitivities...that this time it is attached to a stipulation to 'convert...or no inheritance' is simply a variation on an age-old theme.

Few things incite outrage more reliably than a sense of missing out on what one assumed one was entitled to.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

No truly believing JW would convert for money, it was a pointless thing to do. He would have been better off stipulating that they abstain from attendance for six months, take classes in religion and evolution, and study the history of their own religion, the real history, not the sanitized version. He has had fifty years to convince them, and didn't, or couldn't, so this was a non starter from the beginning.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I would say such an approach does not work but I know of one baptism that was thwarted by a similar ultimatum. Let's just say this dad's wishes indeed reached past the grave.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

Sounds like Dad might have had some control issues! It was mean, but they are all rock stars at their halls now.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Rightful inheritance... That's sounds like an OT term. My Granpa made a lot of money investing, how much?? I have no idea. My father doesn't disclose anything and I don't ask. I know there is a will, but I don't know what I am getting. I don't really care, because getting some material items means that my parents are gone. If I get nothing, so what. I didn't do anything to earn it. Is it rightfully mine??

Let Jeehoober provide for them...

DD

• prologos
    prologos

this is experience is not about money, but one sister with an recacetrant family told them, in the wiil at the funeral, you have to come into the kingdom hall to hear the talk. or you get nothing. She had all the money in the family.

Even the OT can be construed to be such a testament: moses:

"unless you fork over 10% of gnp to my tribe, you will not live"

• garyneal
    garyneal

Well as others said, this feeds the persecution complex and makes them rockstars at the conventions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit