Scriptures that now seem to apply to JWs

by Magnum 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man

ablebodiedman, the NWT's rendering of Matthew 24:39 is misleading. The Greek does not say that the people of Noah's day "took no note". It simply says that they "did not know". Check most other translations.

When you examine the context you will notice that the more accurate rendeing "they did not know" makes more sense. In verse 36 Jesus said no one knows the day or the hour of the end, then he expands on this thought by drawing a parallel with the people of Noah's day who likewise "did not know" when the destruction would come until the flood finally came.

The whole theme of Matthew 24:36-42 is the fact that people will not know when the end will come and hence the need to keep on the watch. The point Jesus was making by pointing to Noah's day is that the people in Noah's day kept on doing normal activities - eating, drinking, marrying, etc - right up until the the last day because they did not know how imminent the flood was. He was not lamenting the fact that they "took no note" as the NWT misleadingly implies. Rather, he was illustrating the suddeness and unexpectedness of the flood - the people's lack of knowledge that a cataclysm was imminent.

After speaking about the people in Noah's day not knowing as evidenced by their going about normal activities, he then further compares them with the people living at the time of his coming. He goes on to show, in verses 40 and 41 that similar day to day activities will be engaged in when he returns - working in the field, grinding at the mill. People would be completely oblivious to the timing of the end as evidenced by the fact that they will be doing these normal everyday activities when it comes like a thief in the night.

That he was not lamenting a the point about "taking no note" can be seen in the fact that even his own followers will be engaged in the day to day activities of working in the field and grinding at the mill when the end comes - these are the ones who are taken along (gathered to christ). Then verse 42 returns to the main them of keeping on the watch because of not knowing. It starts in verse 36 with no one knowing and it ends in verse 42 with keep on the watch because you do not know. All the verses in between illustrate the point of not knowing. "Taking no note" does not fit the context. Take a careful, objective reading of Matthew 24:36-42 in another translation or using the literal in the KIT and you'll see what I mean.

The rendering "they took no note" is an inaccurate rendering influenced by the traditional belief (not stated in scripture) that Noah preached to the people warning them about an impending flood, but they all failed to take heed of his warning. This idea is not found anywhere in scripture, but is a mere conjecture. Although the bible says that Noah was a "preacher of righteousness" (note it does not say a preacher of judgement or of an impending flood) it does not say that he preached a warning message about a flood. It is more likely that Noah, seeing the great violence around him, took the initiative and preached righteousness to the people before he was comissioned to build the ark. Once he was commissioned to build the ark, there was little point in devoting time preaching to the people to warn them of a flood because by then God had already judged the world and was only taking measures to save Noah and his family and representatives of all animal species.

I know I've strayed a bit from the topic of the OP but I think it's important to make the point that the NWT's rendering of Matthew 24:39 is misleading. But to get back to the theme of the OP, here's a verse from Proverbs that I found very interesting when applied to the JWs "faithful and discreet slave" (the operative word is "slave"):

(Proverbs 30:21-23) . . .Under three things the earth has been agitated, and under four it is not able to endure: 22 under a slave [the faithful and discreet slave] when he rules as king, and someone senseless when he has his sufficiency of food [J. F. Ratherfraud]; 23 under a hated woman when she is taken possession of as a wife, and a maidservant when she dispossesses her mistress ["Mother" a.k.a "the slave" dispossessing her heavenly mistress (Jehovah's heavenly wife-like organization) by supplanting the role of holy spirit, by micro-managing the preaching work, among other things].

• Magnum
    Magnum

Island Man - what you wrote about Mt 24:39 is very interesting. A few months ago, I started analyzing and researching the very point you made, but got sidetracked and forgot about it. I don't remember what moved me to analyze it; I must have seen the verse in another translation and noticed that it didn't say "took no note", as if they knew, but simply ignored or paid no attention or got distracted. You have rekindled my interest. What you wrote about the Greek's simply saying they "did not know" and how that fits the whole context better than "they took no note" is worth analyzing. Tomorrow I'm going to more slowly read what you wrote and make notes and restart my research on the subject. (Also, the point about Pr 30:21-23 is interesting.)

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

Mathew 7:15

15 "Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly are ravenous wolves. 16 "You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they?…

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit