Dog and New Baby

by awakenyr2004 13 Replies latest jw friends

• awakenyr2004
    awakenyr2004

We have a 10 year old shepherd mix and we've had him since he was about 4 months old . He is a shelter dog and we are not exactly sure of the mix. He is the best dog I have ever owned. He is smart, loyal, and very protective.

We haven't had a problem with him around the baby but he just doesn't seem interested in him. He will stay in a separate room away from the baby. When the baby is napping he'll join us in whatever room we are in. He doesn't like to look at the baby either. He has shown no aggression but I am a little worried. Will he grow out of this as the baby get older and is able to interact with him more? The baby adores him. He gets so excited whenever he sees him.

Any advice?

• label licker
    label licker

Are you serious? First, your dog is seventy human years old! Second, babies and animals are to be watched at all times. Babies aren't aware of hurting an animal when they want to tug on its ears and tails or they go into their food dishes and get bitten. Again, it would be your fault and not the animals. So many times the humane societies have animals brought in because there's a new baby brought home. Please be a responsible pet owner and watch out for both your animal and baby. The dog is just being a dog wanting to be left alone. They also sleep more when they are alot older. And if they are not well, they will lash out. You have to respect their canine.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't know. Your dog is no longer a puppy. Is the behavior with the baby different than when the baby isn't around. Our family dog was extremely social. She would play for hours. Her favorite games always involved a human family member. When she was older, she stopped playing with her favorite toys. Ms. Adventure turned into a recluse.

It could also be she doesn't view the baby as an intimate family member. When Rascal was older and people approached her, rather than being high out f her skull for the attention, she turned her head away. Dogs are complicated and babies don't grow on trees, call a vet. Remember Cesar Chavez, there are no bad dogs. Only bad humans.

• awakenyr2004
    awakenyr2004

Thanks Label. We have no intention of giving up either dog. We have a lab mix too. They are mostly outside dogs and we only feed them outdoors.

Also, I would never leave them alone with the baby. No worries there. My Shepherd and lab are very active and playful dogs despite their advancing age. The lab seems to show more interest in the baby than the shepherd which was quite suprising to me. She comes around us and will sniff and lick him but not my shepherd.

• awakenyr2004
    awakenyr2004

Thanks Ban on the Run. Yes, this behavior is different than the norm. That is what has me concerned. Love the dog Whisperer. Maybe I should buy his book.

• label licker
    label licker

Maybe while your holding your baby, at the same time pet your shepherd. Maybe he'll see there's no threat for your affections if he's included and he'll see that everytime baby is in the picture, that means he'll get some attention too:) Just an idea to make him feel a part of the family. I really hope everything works out for you. Give it some time.

We have a rotti from the pound that was abused and it's just me and my husband. No kids and this dog constantly needs reassurance. One of us always has his head under our hands or arms nudging us to pet him. We have thirty acres where he can run all over the place but he has to be between the both of us at all times. He's a real goofball.

• losingit
    losingit

I love you Band on the Run, so plz dont take offense to my correction:

Cesar Chavez-- Mexican American union leader for United Farm Workers, deceased.

Cesar Milan-- famous dog trainer

:-) :-) :-)

• finally awake
    finally awake

It sounds like the dog isn't sure if he likes the baby yet. I had an old cat when my older boys were born, she never did warm up to them. I second the sggestion that you pet the dog while you hold the baby.

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

While i respect cesar millians work and enjoy the show, his books are not very informative. Get a book called "the other end of the leash" by patricia mconnell. very well written, same concepts presented in much better detail.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

When I was in the Witnesses, the people who hosted the book study had a dog, I can't recall the breed or age, but it was a medium size dog. Then they had a baby and immediately gave up the dog. Not sure where the dog went. But it pissed me off.....I doubt seriously the prick husband ever tried to adjust the dog to the new baby. And, that prick would watch his 3 year old son like a hawk at the book study. If the child so much as squirmed the would be takien to the back room and spanked. Many years later, when that kid was maybe 19 years old, I heard that he grew his hair long and had a beard. He also refused to be a Witness. I thought to myself: Good for him!!! What goes around comes around!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit