My wife sees the lack of love and.. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

by BU2B 39 Replies latest jw friends

• BU2B
    BU2B

In the past few weeks, my wife has been seeing more and more the lack of love and caring from JWs. For example, she is organizing a "princess party" for our 4 year old daughter. A couple of the parents have expressed reservations about this since they think princesses may be "too magical" even though we know they have been to Disneyworld, and watch the Disney Channel. She wanted it to be a costume party but a couple parents said they would send their kids, but wouldnt let them dress up. This has exasperated and fustrated her. She said that witness kids have it hard enough as it is, and these parents are trying to make it harder, and this is why so many kids leave "the truth". She agreed that you feel like you are walking on eggshells around other JWs because they are so very easily stumbled.

She also sees a lack of love and concern from the elders and most JWs at the KH. She sees that the only time the elders speak to her is when they want her field service time, or want her to give a talk on the school. Otherwise she gets ignored. She says she feels like some of the elders stare her down like they are scrtinizing her. We both agreed that JWs are wierder and more more oversensitive and judgemental than the average non JW.

I stay quiet and listen when she opens up to me like this, and all I can think to say is how it is scary how there is no real closeness or friendships at the KH and all the backbiting, cliches, and gossip, even by elders about the sheep is scary in light of Jesus words about how to reognize his true followers.

John 13:35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

and

Matthew 7: 16-19 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

This is all I can think of to say. It seems she thought about it. I said that it is interesting that Jesus did not say that you will be able to recognize my disciples if they go door to door, or if they have accurate doctrine, no he said love is the mark.

She says that she does not go to the KH for any man, but for Jehovah because she knows it is where she needs to be. ("my words" even if it is discouraging and miserable)

It is progress, and I know many learned TTATT by first seeing the widespread lack of love. It gives me hope.

Anyone have any other Ideas how to help a JW who sees the lack of love but still believes in everything JW and indoctrinated to open their eyes a little further?

• Londo111
    Londo111

Very true. This caused quite a bit of cognitive dissonance for me over the years.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

If your daughter goes to preschool or kinder ask her if there are any classmates that she would like to invite...meet the parents of those children and see just how much support you will have from regular, ordinary, non-fanatical people. That will have an everlasting impact on your wife especially cause "worldly" people are all selfish, lying, abusive drunkards that let their kids do absolutely anything that they want! LOL

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'd lead her if you can that maybe your most intimate and personal affairs are not to be trusted with the elders. You want her backing you not the elders in a crunch.

How about some time in unadulterated nature, watching a sunset or sitting by a waterfall? Discuss if Jehovah is present in those moments. I'd like her to start divorcing Jehovah from the Kingdom Hall.

If the KH is demoted to a miserable club, she can really start wondering why she sacrifices so many hours there.

• sir82
    sir82

In general, most JWs who leave do so because of personal experience with lack of love.

Typically, doctrine only matters afterwards, as a way of reinforcing that leaving was the right thing to do.

This is why arguing doctrine with a still-in JW is very likely pointless, and it's only among ex-JWs (such as this forum) that the glaring absurdities of the doctrine are of any import.

• mauiboy
    mauiboy

Encourage her to read Crisis of Conscience. If you haven't you may want to read it also. Prime example of lack of love...from the 'top'.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

For example, she is organizing a "princess party" for our 4 year old daughter. A couple of the parents have expressed reservations about this since they think princesses may be "too magical" even though we know they have been to Disneyworld, and watch the Disney Channel. She wanted it to be a costume party but a couple parents said they would send their kids, but wouldnt let them dress up. This has exasperated and fustrated her.

'

BU2B......if you don't already know about it.....show your wife the link below of inside the Kingdom Hall people dressed like cowboys doing country line dancing to the song Footloose with a poster on the wall behind the platform of salon doors that say "Party Time". This will do 2 things. (1) It will shock the hell out of her and wake her up more to this hypocritical cult. (2) It will give her amo to show the hyper-sensitive JW's that there is nothing wrong with a "Princess party" if people are doing line dancing to Footloose on the KH platform.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=689701664435095&set=vb.100001858044479&type=2&theater

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's always good to ask questions that are designed to make her think, that way you can gauge how receptive she is to learning more.

For example:

Do you fell that there isn't a lot of love in our congregation? why do you think that is?

Do you sometimes feel that Armageddon isn't really that close?

Do you find it hard to keep up with all the things you have to do, the meetings, study and field service?

Just listen to her responses, don't be quick to agree or disagree, if she feels comfortable with you she might open up more about her own doubts.

• Mum
    Mum

Great suggestions so far. You might also have one night a week when your family has a movie night or a game night. Dinner can be sandwiches or a delivered pizza so everyone can relax.

If she misses a meeting, do something special with her. Make her feel "rewarded" for doing what is in the family's best interests. You could buy her some flowers, listen to some of her favorite music, dance in the living room - anything that would take her mind off the burdensome meetings.

Do you read? If you read "worldly" books, talk to her about the characters in the book you're reading, describe their struggles, and make those struggles sound like the same kind of problems JW's have to deal with. I don't think it would be a great idea to be really direct at first. Just keep it focused on the book, and let her draw her own conclusions. One good choice might be A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich in which there is a portion when the main character is questioning his beliefs and actually asks himself if his whole life might be a lie. I read that excerpt from the book when I was still in, and it set me to thinking!

I hope you're going to help out with the party. You might read the kids a princess story at the party. Does your daughter have any books about princesses? You can also do things like pour the punch, clear the plates and cups, or anything that would be helpful and mke the party more fun for the kids and less stressful for your wife.

Good luck with your efforts. We're wishing your family the best!

• BU2B
    BU2B

Great suggestions so far! I think her reading COC would be impossible right now, however I am currently reading Combatting Cult Mind Control for the first time, and I am sharing some of Steve Hassans experience with the Moonies with her. I appreciate the good advice about remembering to always ask questions. It can be so tempting just to make statements, but I know Questions are the best way.

I am going to check out the book "A day in the Life of Ivan Desenovich" I do like to read and luckily I have a job with lots of down time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit