JWs at the Edinburgh Festival

by passwordprotected 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dagney
    Dagney

I had a similar experience last week. I went with current JW's to Hollywood Blvd for some sightseeing. HB was packed with tourists, a zoo. I saw two sets of trolleys. The first was planted on the busiest corner, Hollywood and Highland, where you almost tripped over them. It must be their instructions to get right there in the middle. Then we saw them later pushing the trolleys up and down the busiest block, right by Gruman's Chinese. They were right in the middle of all the characters in costume who are paid when they pose with tourist. The JW's I was with seemed really embarrassed. Of course they wouldn't say much around me. The whole charade spoke loudly enough as it was.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Why the change? I recall from my years in (1985 - 2009) that standing on street corners with an Awake!/Watchtower pinned to your chest was frowned upon - how can this be nulight? sounds regressive to me. BTW: passed some former dubs on a street corner on my way out to a fun filled family picnic at a provincial park on the weekend...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Hey, I had almost the exact experience this past weekend. It is the Heritage Days festival here in Edmonton, and I attended with a delightful ex-Witness. We saw the JW's when leaving the venue (very heavily attended, lots of foot traffic), four carts, four Witnesses standing like statues. We observed them for five minutes, and there was absolutely no engagement with the crowds passing. With one exception. A gentleman approached them to engage in a little conversation. The JW's backed off! We collared the gentleman afterwards to get his impression. He found it surprisingly off-putting, as he has talked to Witnesses before and considered them to be friendly, moral people. He was shocked to think that the Witnesses there that day were there only to "put in their hours".

My companion pointed out that if the proportion of vulnerable bystanders is about one in a thousand, there were possibly 200 potential converts in that crowd! You'll be happy to know they will be safe from their Witnesses and their aloof approach.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Hey jgnat, skipped Heritage Days this year (go every two years) and headed to Wabamun instead!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit