JWs at the Edinburgh Festival

by passwordprotected 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

My girlfriend and I took the train through to Edinburgh to soak in the atmosphere and catch a few free comedy shows at the Fringe Festival.

Almost immediately I spotted them; JW.Org Witnesses.

How did I know it was them?

Well, the middle-aged, tall man wearing the suit, shirt and tie was a big clue. That and the fact that he was holding the hand of a similarly tall, middle-aged woman, dressed in the JW uniform of long skirt, blouse and light summer jacket. Oh, and the "publisher bag" she had slung over her shoulder, with the clear plastic pocket on front displaying a piece of JW.Org printed propaganda.

And that was as soon as we'd emerged from the bowels of Waverley Station.

Then, after climbing up the hill to the Royal Mile, we saw more of them. You see, the Royal Mile at High Street is closed to traffic during the weekends of the Festival to allow street performers to do their thing, and the whole street is packed full of tourists, parents with young kids and hundreds of people handing out flyers to drum up an audience for the dozens and dozens of shows taking place throughout the city.

And there, right on the corner of St Gile's Street, at a very busy crossing, being buffeted by wave after wave of tourist and pedestrian, was two more JW.Org witnesses, standing with their literature cart (a potential trip hazard), each clutching the new August 1st "Where Can You Find the Answers... (clue; it's on our website)" tract.

However, unlike the people trying to generate interest in their comedy, dance or music show, the JWs simply just stood there. They didn't try to thrust the live saving message into anyone's hands. They didn't engage with anyone passing. They just stood there. In the fucking way. At a busy street crossing...

We now walked down Bank Street, onto North Bank Street, at right there at the steps leading down to the Scottish National Gallery was another two. Again, helping to contribute to a bottle neck of pedestrians. This time I knew them. Martin Benzie, formerly from Bellshill, now (I'm guessing) a circuit overseer and still a full-time nut sack (look up Hoboken's experience with Benzie at his appeal hearing).

Benzie's wife, a sickly looking woman, always has been, was standing holding up a copy of an Awake! magazine, adapting the new pioneer stance; stand still, feet planted, holding a magazine in front of her chest. As we waited for the lights to change, along with dozens of other tourists and visitors to Edinburgh, I watched them closely. Martin was being engaged in conversation with a small elderly bearded man who looked to me like a born-again Christian. Martin adopted the slightly patronising tilted-head stance of a person who believes he is superior in every spiritual way possible, nodding while the man spoke to him, while evidently wishing to end the conversation.

All the while his wife stood rooted to the spot while absolutely no one took a single piece of literature from her.

Here's my issue, apart from feeling nauseated at seeing a blast from my JW past.

The people handing out leaflets and flyers for their shows had much more passion and enthusiasm for the role than the JW.Org Witnesses had in spreading their life-saving message of urgency. They were prepared to stop strangers in the street, talk to them with a smile and do their best to "sell" their show. The JW.Org Witnesses, on the other hand, stood lifelessly, unsmiling like statues, holding anonymous pieces of paper, seemingly in the hope that a passerby would initiate contact with them, taking the tract from their hand.

Compared to the efforts of the entertainment hawkers, how on earth did they expect to get their message noticed by the thousands of people converging on the capital city whose lives they're apparently responsible for trying to save?

This religion is changing before our eyes...and yet it's closer than ever to the end.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Aren't you glad that you were there just to partake in all the fun rather than maintain 'the stance', like a good little .org-er?

-Aude.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

It's a cult. what more is there to say.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

I was at the Bristol Harbour Festival a couple of weeks ago and I counted four different trolleys with nearby Witnesses.

I stood directly next to the three 'brothers' that were manning one as it was up against the railings of the harbour wall as people were crowded against the rails to see the activities on the water.

I listened in to their conversation as they were discussing moving the trolleys as nobody could see them as they were concealed by the crowd.

As they were discussing whether to do it again at next years festival one of them said, ''if Armageddon isn't here by then''. He looked about 20 years old. There was a pause, then the older brother said, ''He always has to put a dampener on thngs'' as they all chortled.

I have to admit that, every time I see the Witness stands, my blood boils.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I am saddened that the religion I was born in to has come to this pathetic situation of being a shadow of its former self. I used to engage in Street Work, in a positive and vigorous manner, speaking to all and sundry. I was a Manic Street Preacher almost.

On the other hand, I am pleased they are now so pathetic at marketing the cult, it means that very few people will be entrapped in future.

One day Mrs Phizzy and I will get to the Fringe, maybe you and me can meet up and enjoy a Pint of "Heavy" together while our good lady's sip whatever they choose. (Mrs Phizzy will have to drive, one Pint is never enough for me, ask Cantleave LOL).

• cofty
    cofty

My wife and I are going up to Edinburgh on Saturday. I think I will take some JWFacts.com cards.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Be glad you are no longer part of that circus.

I feel sorry they don't have any real fun and if they do, feel guilty as hell for doing so.

• dozy
    dozy

Thanks for the observation.

I think the difference is that the people marketing the shows have a strong incentive to put bums on seats & sell tickets.

JWs don't - it's all about putting in time. One of my relatives often does a similar work & I asked him how many magazines or tracts he usually gives out. "It just depends - sometimes only a few. Once just a couple. At least we are giving a witness." I asked him just how many passers-bys really were aware of what the trolley was all about , especially with the vague , generic titles of the magazines "How to cope with stress" etc , that really could mean anything. He just shrugged. You could tell it really didn't matter.

There just isn't the urgency any more. I remember going out on the ministry with a pioneer JW pre-1975 who would say to everyone at every door "we might not be back - the end is close - this really is your last chance." It was a load of rubbish of course , but the urgency was there at that time - he was almost running between doors - no coffee breaks - no messing about.

You get the same vibes from the Society. Would they really be buying million pound houses in Wales or multi-million dollar centres in Florida if they thought Armageddon was imminent?

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Think about when you were a JW. Could you ever get excited about handing out tracts? I know I never could.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

What a joke, hopefully this will wake more people up, everything they do is just a joke this new tract campaign. They just go do it with out question there just brain dead zombies...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit