JW wins lawsuit in the UK...

by Honesty 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Honesty
    Honesty

Trending World War One Manchester Pride 2014 Manchester City Manchester United

Jehovah's Witness who told gym member yoga would let 'evil' into her body wins sacking case:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/jehovahs-witness-unfair-dismissal-win-7555537

"

A Jehovah’s Witness who was sacked as a fitness coach after telling a gym member that yoga would allow ‘evil’ into her body has won a pay out for unfair dismissal.

Maciej Grochowski, was sacked from his role at the Virgin Active gym in Middleton after several warnings over complaints he was making staff and clients uncomfortable by discussing his beliefs.

He was finally given the boot after writing a series of e-mails to bosses spelling out his religious opinions on issues such as Halloween and satanism.

An employment tribunal ruled he was unfairly dismissed as he had not breached the terms of a final warning banning him from discussing religion when it was ‘unwelcome’ or ‘made others feel uncomfortable’."

"Mr Grochowski was first warned about his behaviour in June 2011, after several members contacted the gym to see when he was working so they could avoid being there at the same time. They explained they felt uncomfortable because of his frequent discussions on religious beliefs.

Within a fortnight a colleague complained about ‘homophobic views’ he had raised in the staff room.

He was suspended just days later after police were called when he refused to leave after turning up for work on his day off.

Virgin Active was ordered to pay Mr Grochowski £653.50 - after a 75 per cent reduction for his conduct prior to the dismissal.

But employment judge David Jones, at Manchester Civil Justice Centre, ruled that the trainer had not been discriminated against because of his religious beliefs."

• jgnat
    jgnat

What a tool.

• bigmac
    bigmac

her--him--?? confused.com

• steve2
    steve2

Oh, his former employers got off handsomely. There'll be smiles all round, I'm sure.

I'd pay ten times that to be rid of any religious-nutter employee regardless of persuasion.

I suspect the "coach" would sing a different tune were he in private practise depending on the goodwill of fee-paying customers. It's always easier to waste your employers' time than your own.

Besides, any employer worth their salt, will now be wary of hiring any JW - even JWs who would never behave as irresponsbly as the complainant did.

Nice one, jerk!

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

It looks like had his employer given him a total ban on talking about religion to his cohorts and customers, then the firing would have been justified. And, the court reduced his award by 75%. This shows that the court sided alot with the gym, but not completely. Anyway, he sounds like a trouble-maker. He came in on his off days and made very offensive comments to customers. Employers should carefully screen the hiring of religious zealots. One's employment should be to promote the business, not one's own religiion.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

*snort* What a great witness he gave. I wonder if he knows that the Society has given Witnesses permission to teach yoga, not just practice it.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Oh jeez. I'm sure he'll be on the next assembly program.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Oh god. . . .

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I thought they backed off the yoga thing?

• St George of England
    St George of England

£653.50 to get rid of an idiot like that. Bargain.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit