JW internal warfare threatens the Tract campaign

by Quarterback 29 Replies latest social humour

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I overheard this argument re the new tract campaign. One Elder told a publisher, to hide the tract in the mailbox if the home owner wasn't home. The publisher was used to folding the tip of the tract, and just left a tip showing. This Elder freaked out over this. "We are not following the FDS, he declared".

The KM in 2000 states, " to not make the tract invisible to passersby's". The publisher said, " it was invisible to passersby's."

This after the first week of the magnificent 100th anniversary tract campaign. Stay tuned, this may get bloody.

• sir82
    sir82

If this is from the US, the elder was encouraging the publisher to break the law.

Only postage-paid mail can be placed in a mailbox. If found out, the person who places something else there can pay a hefty fine.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Federal offense

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

18 U.S.C. 1725 states: "Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title" "TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 83 > Sec. 1725" Legal Information Institute It appears that violation of this provision is an infraction, carrying a fine of not more than $5,000 for an individual, or not more than $10,000 for an organization. "TITLE 18 > PART II > CHAPTER 227 > SUBCHAPTER A > Sec. 3559" [defining "infraction" in subsection (a)(9)] "TITLE 18 > PART II > CHAPTER 227 > SUBCHAPTER C > Sec. 3571" [establishing fines for an infraction in subsections (b)(7) and (c)(7)] Legal Information Institute See also:"Domestic Mail Manual - D041 Customer Mail Receptacles" [especially section 1.3] United States Postal Service

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_putting_something_in_a_mailbox_against_the_law

--

One Elder told a publisher, to hide the tract in the mailbox

This kind of advice is a predictable outcome when janitors and window washers run the show. Dumbasses.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Quarterback:

This just underscores how uneducated Jehovah's Witnesses are about basic things.

As Sir82 says: it is ILLEGAL to put something in a mailbox unless it is postage-paid mail.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I don't think that applies to Canada. We still get so much junk mail deposited in our mail boxes

• cofty
    cofty

What a weird law. It's only a mailbox.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Never heard of this before. In the U K we get a load of circulars, political leaflets, menus from the local take-aways all distributed by volunteers or paid employees - all stuffed in the letter box. Certainly the local dubs are leaving the tracts in the boxes of not-at-homes.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

LHG - your statement that putting it in the mailbox is illegal misses a key element of the offence as set out by ADCMS namely 'with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon'.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Frazzled UBM:

Of course, how could somebody prove somebody else's intent. Naturally, todays JWs will claim ignorance.

I am sure laws like this are practically unenforceable but that still doesn't address the fact that JWs nowadays are ignorant of so many things.

Not putting literature in mailboxes was common knowledge among the JWs back in the day when I was associated....... In fact, that is where I learned it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit