Trademark office rejects Watchtower's application for "JW.Org" logo

by AndDontCallMeShirley 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

SPECIMEN MUST SHOW USE OF MARK WITH CLASS 16 GOODS

Registration is refused because the specimen does not show the applied-for mark in use in commerce. ... The submitted screenshots do not show applicant’s mark in use on printed Class 16 goods.

How did Holy Spirit let that slip by?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

How did Holy Spirit let that slip by?

Holy Spirit was practicing its Texas Two Step to "Footloose" and was otherwise distracted from other WT business.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Yes, the Janitor's World is definitely appropriate.

I also noticed that the charter description mentions "scientific". I'd hate to think that their litertaure is scientific.

• LogCon
    LogCon

Lawyers are not the smartest people in the world.

Connivers and manipulators, yes.

Rutherford, case in point. He made an -ss of himself.

It looks like the Society is still following the tradition.

• Fencing
    Fencing

Janitor's World is the most apt description of the composition of the average congregation that I have ever heard.

• prologos
    prologos

If you have dealt with the patent & Trademark examiners in Alexandria VA , you know an initial rejection is almost automatic in many cases.

they probably have filed a duely amended action, a sharper version, and replies that could contain wording with more fun to poke at.

The JW windows and Janitors World were not in the wt application but in the Action of the Examiner, were they not?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Right, they were in the response, showing that "JW" is used in commercial products's logos already.

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

The rejection by the trademark office is due to the similarity to the website called jwplayer.com. That company hosts videos, ads and streams for prospective customers.

Their web address ends in dot com but I assume they bought the rights to dot org as well. I looked up www.jwplayer.com and found an interesting point about the company's beginnings. The "About Us" section on their website says this at the top:

"We're the New York-based start up that PIONEERED video on the web."

The word pioneer is not in all capitals on their website but I thought it was funny and worth highlighting.

It looks like jwplayer.com started in 2005. I assume that's when they filed for the trademark name.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“AlphaMan”: “Why would Jehovah's "holy spirit" lead the Organization to develop the awe-inspiring JW.Org logo for trademark approval and not even have the foresight to see the TM Office would disprove it?”

Exactly!!!

“AndDontCallMeShirley”: “Plan B: change the logo to what is really desired: "GB.Org".”

That’s really about it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit