Volunteering.

by Jeannette 27 Replies latest social physical

• Phaedra
    Phaedra

Volunteering for a worthy cause, especially when you are authentically invested and can see the fruits of your labor, is a soul-satisfying activity.

In stark contrast to the endless hours of door-knocking volunteering we did as JWs that left us ambivalent, stressed, and depleted.

Good for you, Jeanette!

Phae

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Thank you, Phae.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think another reason that the WTS "volunteer" work is so soul-destroying (beyond their failure to thank you for your service) is that it is a one-size-fits-all activity. It doesn't matter if you are an introvert, a nurturer, or a creative. One task for all. With no end in sight.

• losingit
    losingit

Volunteering is the best. I get so much joy from volunteering at my daughters school and the PTA, and the girls love to see me active in the school too. I'd like to volunteer for other organizations but while my girls are in school, that's where I focus lots of my energy. Everyone is appreciative of the work we do. It's nice.

VOlunteering out in service -- there's no comparison to how pointless it is. When I lived in the city, I enjoyed service bc I saw service as a means ofhelping ppl. Funny-- but I refused to go out in service on Saturday. They even switched my book study to a Saturday one to force me to go out afterwards! I kid you not! I didn't want to waste my Saturdays doing crap canvassing or speaking to noone when during the week I had meaningful conversations and interactions with ppl. It only got worse when we moved to the suburbs. The waste of gas and time pissed me off to no end. Noone opened their doors. It was HORRIBLE. i stopped going out. Jw service SUCKS.

Btw Jeannette you have a pm

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Losingit, going out in service means standing at perfect strangers' doors and ask for money, basically that's what we do. If they do donate, we send it to the Society, 100% of it, we take the loss of the gas and wear and tear on the car, and TIME, my goodness, what a total waste of our precious time. The Elders are so brainwashed as to talk us into doing that work all the time. Again, what a waste of time listening to that. I say, get out, get out.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Losingit, going out in service means standing at perfect strangers' doors and ask for money, basically that's what we do. If they do donate, we send it to the Society, 100% of it, we take the loss of the gas and wear and tear on the car, and TIME, my goodness, what a total waste of our precious time. The Elders are so brainwashed as to talk us into doing that work all the time. Again, what a waste of time listening to that. I say, get out, get out.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I forgot to discuss the Volunteer Appreciation Lunch or Dinner. It was always nice. I made a lot of friends. Also, I found out more info to apply to colleges.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yes, I found field service demoralizing also. Being a working mom, I only had so much free time. Spending those precious few hours knocking on a few doors, all not at home, then another hour and a half aimlessly driving around, was a complete and utter waste of time to me. Even if it wasn't futile, it went completely against my personality to knock on the doors of strangers and tell them they would be destroyed if they become Jehovah's Witnesses. How obnoxious to not even acknowledge the possibility that other people had a right to their own beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit