Volunteering.

by Jeannette 27 Replies latest social physical

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Since I left the Watchtower a couple of years ago, I started volunteering 3 hours a week at a WeCare center. It's like Goodwill. Well, i've been there approximately 9 months, and yesterday I received a lovely thank you card from them. They told me how much they appreciated me, and had a print out of the results of the ministry in 2013. They listed the amount of money they gave for disaster and immediate neeed, direct aid for rent, utilities, day care, food bank, good samaritan thrift store, eye and dental, school supplies and so on. I've been volunteering for Watchtower for 40 years and all I got from them was a couple of attempts to kick my derrierre.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

The Witnesses think that they are the only loving organization and you will not find brotherly love in other place. But the truth is the contrary.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

True.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Jeannette, that was lovely! I hate how the gb paints all non-jws as terrible people. They are nothing but liars!

• TableForOne
    TableForOne

Jeannette: What a lovely experience. You feel proud, worthy and appreciated.

And rightly so.

On the rare occasion I see my JW wife, she loves to remind me 'Who else on earth has an organisation like Jehovah's?'

If I dare try to say:

"What? An organisation that is soft on paedophiles?

An organisation that shuns former members who dare to leave?

An organisation that constantly changes it's beliefs, yet still maintains it speaks nothing but "truth"?

Yeah, I totally agree. Who else on earth would want to be part of an organisation like Jehovah's?"

Well, I'm shot down before I can say the first sentence. (Because she knows what's coming next, ha ha.)

When I get my life sorted I'm planning to do some volunteer work too.

Well done Jeannette.

TF1

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

That's great Jeannette. I've been volunteering for a mental health charity for three years and they have sent me thank you cards and I got a certificate for outstanding service (or something) can't remember the exact wording. So lovely and it will come in useful when I have to apply for my own job for the second time this Autumn.

All I got for pioneering for 10 years was a demand letter to give my discount literature back when I stopped! Charming.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Thanks, friends. You are all lovely people, to be sure. What impressed me was the facts and figures of exactly how much money they took in, (people donate their old clothes, appliances and anything they don't need-they just drop them off in the drop boxes in front. Wal-Mart even donates stuff they can't sell). The store organizes everything and resells at a reasonable price. The letter they sent me gave the exact amount of money that was spent for people that came in and couldn't pay their light bill that month, and so forth. But, why doesn't the WTS tell us a little about what the expenses and income are. Isn't this fair? We give them so much money.

• Imminent1975
    Imminent1975

Xanthippe wrote, "All I got for pioneering for 10 years was a demand letter to give my discount literature back when I stopped! Charming."

You have got to be kidding, right? I understood that they were tight and greedy by that's extreme so.

• losingit
    losingit

Are they located in the US, this charity? Sounds like a great organization.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Losingit--Yes, it's just like a Goodwill Store. Have you heard of them? This store sells the free stuff given them after it's sorted, defective stuff discarded, some things are cleaned. There is also a store called Santas Helpers and everything in it is absolutely free, people give things they don't want anymore. If you'll p.m. me, I can tell you where they're at.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit