New video telling the R&F to be generous

by Splash 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Splash
    Splash

Bro Sanderson has a 7 minute video up on their streaming website called "Be willing to open your hand".

In it he tells us not to be "tight fisted" or "stingy" and later "regardless of how much we have or how little we have, we'll find something within our power to be able to do". We have the responsibility to imitate Jehovah's generosity.

There's a bit about giving to one another when we see the need, which is nice, then he drops in how 20 years ago the Canada Branch Committee asked the bethel family for donations to the disaster relief fund, and promptly raised over $10,000. I think that's pretty good going for those under a vow of poverty.

"The generous person will prosper" he says, then illustrates this using a made up story. If you grab a handful of grain and form a tight fist, you don't get as much as if you use an open hand.

The camera angle means we rarely see any of his bling, and just to be certain, the cameraman zooms in a little bit more at the 2:00 mark.

Think I'll call Bethel and tell them I'm facing a temporary financial difficulty.
    I know their answer would be to trust in Jehovah, stay warm and well fed.

Then they'd phone my elders to form an investigation.

JW TV Link

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Oh wow!!

You mean they are continuing with this "cash appeal" tactic yet again????

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I've been saying it for a long time now: Money only flows one way in the WT Organization; from the rank and file's wallets to the WT's bank accounts. When the congregation needs something or YOU as an individual needs something, it's "wait on Jehovah. Jehovah provides. Keep your eye simple." When the Org needs something, it's "We need YOUR money. Don't be stingy, be generous, be like Jehovah, etc, etc."

The money grab is really taking on a life of it's own and becoming more and more obvious as they lay on the guilt trips.

"The beatings will continue, until morale improves."

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Just watched it. From my perspective, there wasn't really anything that was too objectionable. His message seemed to simply be that we should be generous to those in need. No mention of the Org, any of its projects or financial needs, or the contribution box. The closest was the mention of the Bethel family raising $10,000 for flood relief in Canada, which makes me chuckle because now we're not allowed to contribute funds toward a specific disaster relief effort, only to the "Worldwide Work".

Whether this is a subtle, passive aggressive reminder to contribute, I'll leave to others to debate. In my view it wasn't offensive though. (Although Lett's latest telethon sets a high bar.)

• done4good
    done4good

I have not watched it, (and will not unless someone posts it here..), but I sure sense typical WT passive aggressive manipulation on this one. Surely they would not be so bold as to repeat another over the top Lett style televangelist plea this soon again. Something more toned down just makes sense. I am calling bullshit.

d4g

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

They should NEVER ask for money, or compare the Christian congregation to the pre-Christian temple donation arrangement....EVER.

If you do not foster a legalistic attitude and pass that on to your "students" and if you have a system that is truly worthy of support ( or has God's backing, if you believe in that ), then your church will survive as long the people who make it up are being given something worth value. You won't need to remind people to donate, they will do it because they want to.

They have made this mess worse by banning higher education in God's name. Either they are deluded, or they have decided to actively groom a mass of uneducated sheeple who are just poor/ignorant enough to need "Mother's" comfort their entire lives, yet smart enough to breed and raise children who can pack litterature in a crate.

I'm leaning toward delusion, because the latter choice means the WTBTS leaders are doing some major number crunching. I just don't know if they are that smart? I could be underestimating the powers behind organized Xianity.

Anyway, if you can't pay the bills, the congregation must simplify and meet in private homes, just like the old days. This constant solicitation for money is indicative of ZERO divine backing, IMO.

DD

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

"Get ready to help anyone who's impoverished by their constant donations to the Org."

• fulano
    fulano

The problem gets bigger and bigger for them as educated people and a lot of the "first" world are opening their eyes, the growth is from third world countries with little money and less possibilities.

• done4good
    done4good

I have not watched it, (and will not unless someone posts it here...)

Never mind just saw the link...

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

This little speech is a complete and utter joke!

During a difficult financial time NOT ONE PERSON IN OUR CONGREGATION asked the question, "is there anything we can do to help?" The question we were asked is "we have to take the Speaker to dinner can you contribute?"

We did not and would not take charity. We are hard workers and will work as hard a possible to make our own way. I think the only thing we would have liked is some kindness and encouragement during a difficult time. WE RECEIVED NOTHING! I guess we should be grateful to all those who couldn't have given a damn because it shook us and woke us up completely!

One of the MANY reasons we are out!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit