Why do Atheists Celebrate Christmas

by givemejustalittlemoretime 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

Scientist and atheist Richard Dawkins has admitted he does celebrate Christmas - and enjoys singing traditional Christmas carols each festive season.

The writer and evolutionary biologist told singer Jarvis Cocker that he happily wishes everyone a Merry Christmas - and used to have a tree when his daughter was younger.

Dawkins, one of the most famous atheists in the world, was interviewed by Sheffield born Cocker when he stepped in as a Christmas guest editor on Radio Four's Today programme.

'I am perfectly happy on Christmas day to say Merry Christmas to everybody,' Dawkins said. 'I might sing Christmas carols - once I was privileged to be invited to Kings College, Cambridge, for their Christmas carols and loved it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1100842/Why-I-celebrate-Christmas-worlds-famous-atheist.html#ixzz39DwxiD00 ?

• cofty
    cofty

There is no such group as "atheists".

It's a useless word that simply means anybody who isn't impressed by the grandiose claims of theism.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

A person doesn't have to be a Christian in order to enjoy the Christmas season and it's festivities. Much of what we call 'Christmas' is derived from ancient Pagan roots, celebrating the Earth and it's seasons and cycles. There is a difference in celebrating the RELIGIOUS aspect of Christmas and in celebrating the CULTURAL traditions of the Christmas season. Exactly the same reasons apply to the celebrations of Easter and Halloween. A person doesn't have to be 'religious' to enjoy those traditions. Birthdays are viewed by JWs in a 'religious' context, as a negative event, whereas for MOST people birthdays are simply a happy and festive CULTURAL tradition. These celebrations only have 'meaning' to the degree that we assign it to them.

ok irreligionsit.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

What is it with the fascination with Dawkins, and everything he says and does?

• cofty
    cofty

Some believers think that because they need leaders to tell them what to think, unbelievers must need one too.

Not at all he just happened to be the first one i come across.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

One word, association. But it not just christmas, any holiday, vacation long weekends, golden week, or any free time. Why, because we are social beings.

"Association" in psychology refers to a connection between conceptual entities or mental states that results from the similarity between those states or their proximity in space or time. The idea stems from Plato and Aristotle, especially with regard to the succession of memories, and it was carried on by philosophers such as John Locke, David Hume, David Hartley, James Mill, John Stuart Mill, and Alexander Bain. It finds its place in modern psychology in such areas as conditioning and in neural network models of memory.

Give a free day and call it Apollyon “Destroyer” day. You will see that christians will see a chance for association, catch on the holiday and will start "celebrating".

Ismael

• Mikado
    Mikado

because they can do what they like, and you need to stop being quite so interested in them...

• rebel8
    rebel8

cofty is right. The failure to believe in something does not necessarily mean adoption of a set of common beliefs or practices.

Christmas is mainly a cultural event with a smidge of religion sprinkled on top, like all holidays. Atheists are allowed to partake of culture, with or without sprinkles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit