A peek in to future of transportation

by jgnat 20 Replies latest social current

• jgnat
    jgnat

Trends include self-driving clean vehicles and temporary leasing rather than buying vehicles (the driverless vehicle arrives to pick you up, and you drop it off at your destination). The result? 1/8 the traffic on existing roads! Disappearing parking lots. Advanced urban planning where people are within walking distance of work and shops. The future will look different indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euuzshQtKQ0&list=PL6CFCE860010958B4

(*Warning - an hour long)

http://youtu.be/4E7xHCy1A3g

(Much more entertaining;1 minute long)

Tree lined street

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2014/07/the-self-driving-reset.html

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

self driving cars are going to be legal in the UK from next year apparently. I like the idea, but then I really hate driving whereas some people love it.

the technology begin it has really accelerated the past few years, and I'm assuming the legal concerns regarding who's at fault in crashes must have been sorted too.

• Mum
    Mum

My goal is to live without a car. Even an old car that is paid for is quite an expense, with gas and oil, maintenance and repairs, and high insurance rates.

Thanks for the hope imparted by your post.

• prologos
    prologos

driver- less cars? it reminds me of the new jworg. religion, no input from the participants required.

I enjoy driving. pushing the motorcyle through the curves, getting air on hills. piloting the plane in the past.

enjoying ocean views on my couch is enough. sitting and watching the traffic go by as my car meanders from point a to b?

not for me.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Mum:

My goal is to live without a car. Even an old car that is paid for is quite an expense, with gas and oil, maintenance and repairs, and high insurance rates.

Same here:

Years ago after exiting Yahweh's Spiritual concentration camp and the usual divorce, the choice was owning and paying for a car, or the purchase of another home. The home won.

These days, the choice is different. Its now either a car or being able to afford and overseas holiday. (Smile, at least the overseas holidays - in Asia - is cheaper than a holiday within Australia.). So holidays win now

• Simon
    Simon

Just the improved safety will make it worthwhile, everything else is gravy.

mmmmnnnn, gravy.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I still think there's a ton of obstacles before this can work, but if everyone moved over to automatic cars, it would be much more practical. This would probably mean building the feature into all new cars, waiting 10 years for almost everyone to buy a self-driving car, then turning on the feature for all of them at once, and maybe refusing to renew registration on the old manual cars. Certainly if all cars were self-driving, a central computer could do wonders with eliminating traffic jams and the need for primitive flow control devices like traffic lights.

As of right now, I don't think that even the self-braking feature being installed in some cars is a good idea.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

When I was a kid, everyone (outside of the dubs) said that in the future we would all go to work on a personal helicopter, manmade textiles would make clothes that never wore out, pavement would move us along like the "travelators" in some airports , the weather would be controlled, nobody would work more than 3 days a week....etc , etc.

One thing that man is useless at doing is seeing the future. (nb I would like a self driving, self parking car, mind you....)

• jgnat
    jgnat

In a networked system, central control is not necessary. The cars will "talk" to each other and unlike humans, yield gracefully.

The speaker also speaks glowingly of temporary leasing of vehicles, which means an owner's car can be working instead of parked when the owner does not need it. Right now our cars mostly remain parked. Not so in the future. This means reduced car ownership, the disappearance of parking lots.

What will our highways look like with 1/8 the current load?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

In a networked system, central control is not necessary. The cars will "talk" to each other and unlike humans, yield gracefully.

Yes, but there are greater opportunities when you have central control. Imagine never needing to stop at a stop sign or red light, because at every intersection you come to, the line of cars going by has made an opening for you by slowing down ever so slightly a mile back, anticipating when your car would arrive. Imagine being able to start routing traffic around an accident site (because deer still happen) the instant the accident occurs. Imagine emergency vehicles being able to drive at the maximum safe speed on each road because all cars have already pulled over and cleared out of intersections. Granted, these things are partially doable by using car-to-car communication to form a headless network, but there would be the issue of when cars are too far from each other to complete the "circuit" of communication.

The speaker also speaks glowingly of temporary leasing of vehicles, which means an owner's car can be working instead of parked when the owner does not need it. Right now our cars mostly remain parked.

I didn't grow up with anyone who would share their car with another human being, especially if that person is so poor that they couldn't afford their own car That will probably go over much better in less developed countries. Maybe cities will be okay with it, since city-dwellers have more experience with public transportation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit