Poignant Statistics Summary for Comment at This Sunday WT Study! (Aug. 3, 2014)

by SAHS 39 Replies latest jw friends

• SAHS
    SAHS

The Watchtower Study to be considered this Sunday, August 3, 2014 (using the magazine dated May 15, 2014), titled “Are You Moving Ahead With Jehovah’s Organization?,” in paragraph seven (on pages 27-28), talks about the number of people baptized in recent years:

7 Where do those making up the great crowd come from? They are being brought together because of what Jesus foretold as part of the sign of his presence. He said: “This good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.” (Matt. 24:14) In these last days, this is the chief work of God’s organization. Because of the global preaching and teaching activity of Jehovah’s Witnesses, millions of people have learned to worship God “with spirit and truth.” (John 4:23, 24) For example, in a recent ten-year period—during the service years of 2003 through 2012—more than 2,707,000 individuals were baptized in symbol of their dedication to God. Worldwide, there are now well over 7,900,000 Witnesses, with millions more associating with them, especially during the annual observance of the Memorial. We do not boast in numbers, for it is ‘God who keeps making things grow.’ (1 Cor. 3:5-7) Nevertheless, it is evident that the great crowd is growing and becoming greater with each passing year.

Now, I plan to give a comment on that paragraph seven and provide some expanded and poignant statistics which I have gathered from the Web page http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/statistics.php – it should be an interesting Sunday meeting, considering that I will be sitting with my strongly-JW parents! (They are pioneering this month, and my dad is a longtime, well-known elder in our area.) I’ll let you know how it went afterward. Here is my little summary which I will use in my comment:

WITHIN JW COMMUNITY

TOTAL MISSING (average):

1986 to 1995: 12%/yr.

1996 to 2005: 41%/yr.

Number Baptized Who Stop Publishing/Inactive

(baptism minus increase):

1981 to 2013: 80,000/yr.

Disfellowshipped:

1992: ≈1%/yr. (avg.) (Watchtower, 1992, July 1, p. 19)

1985: 1.28%/yr. (Watchtower, 1986, Jan. 1, p. 13)

Reinstated: 0.33%/yr. (avg.) (Watchtower, 1974, Aug. 1, p. 466;

Watchtower, 1960, Dec. 1, p. 728)

WORLD POPULATION

World Population Growth: 1.2%/yr. (200,000 born per day)

World Average Death Rate: 0.85%/yr.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Haha, yeah tell us how that goes. You've got more chutzpah than I ever did to give that answer.

The 'we don't boast in numbers' bit made me laugh. They constantly boast in numbers, and had just done it a sentence before!

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

Good times

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Oh man if you had the balls to say that. Please post it on YouTube so I can listen to it.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

"we dont boast in numbers!"

haha....but then why have they always banged on about an increase in NUMBERS???!!!!

• sporece
    sporece

Your father is going to slap you after the meeting for that comment.

• zeb
    zeb

yes please let us all know how that goes. You -tube would be good if you can do it.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"..

• StAnn
    StAnn

SAHS, you are headed for trouble with your parents. Go for it. I'd love to be a fly on the wall, if that wall weren't in a KH.

StAnn

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

2003 6,184,046 average publishers

2003 6,184,046 average publishers

Increase 1,354,948

Baptisms 2,707,710

Increase is only 50.04% of baptisms

"Jehovah's Witnesses have the lowest retention rate of any religious tradition." (Pew Forum US Religious Landscape Survery 2008 religions.pewforum.org/reports As at March 8 2008)

If you get to highlight these statistics it will be interesting to find out what the congregation reaction is.

• steve2
    steve2

Jwfacts, did you mistakenly forget to include the 2013 average publishers instead of listing the 2003 average publishers twice?

2003 average publishers: 6,184,046

2013 average publishers: 7,698,377

= 1,514,331.

Baptisms 2003 - 2013 = 2,707,710

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit