FROM FEET TO FINGERS: THE WATCHTOWER EVOLVES INTO JW.ORG

by steve2 29 Replies latest jw friends

• NotBlind
    NotBlind

Expect the 'release' of jw.org T-shirts sometime in the next 2 years. You'll get to count your time if you wear one to your job or around town.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

His motivation, I believe, is emotional attachment to the idea of being with his deceased Father in Paradise.

He has been offered this Freebie if he remains loyal to the ORG.

I've told him many things and proved (I suppose) many wrongs about the org--BUT HE DEFENDS THEM still.

All this does is remind me how deep the hook is embedded.

This religion isn't just about doctrine and assertions of Truth.

IT OFFERS PROMISES and makes exclusive membership contingent on absolute loyalty.

Try a different approach Terry. Are you just attacking his belief in the organisation or trying to kill his belief in the Bible and resurrection hope? Since it is his hope in the resurrection which is the real hook, and it is in fact a hope in the Bible that all Christian religions teach, then work on that to reach him in a way that destroys his belief that he must belong to the JW's to see his father again.

For example, ask him if Pastor Russell was one of the 144k and is in heaven now? He'll say yes of course. Don't attack that belief, just go along with it, don't attack his core emotional beliefs. Then point out to him that C T Russell and the early Bible Students never taught that mankind will be eternally destroyed at Armageddon. They taught that the separation of the sheep and the goats and judging of the nations occurs during the millennial reign, not before it (ie, the millennial reign is judgment day). Remind him that even the JW's have recently wavered on this, announcing 'new light' in 1995 that the judgment of the sheep and goats didn't start in 1914 but occurs during the great tribulation.

Ask him how it's possible that a God of perfect love and justice and mercy would eternally destroy billions of ignorant, sinful persons at Armageddon but then resurrect in the millennial reign billions of ignorant, sinful persons who died before Armageddon? Tell him that Russell utterly rejected this idea as monstrously unjust, teaching that the nations are judged. He can verify this out easily enough for himself on the Bible Students forums and blogs. Ask him does he really believe that the hundreds/thousands of Bible Students in various groups today who still adhere to Russell's original teachings but reject the JW's will be destroyed at Armageddon? No JW can honestly answer yes to that while also believing that Russell and the early Bible Students were genuinely anointed.

This is one of the best ways of removing someone's deep seated fear of missing out on eternal life in a paradise earth unless they remain with the organisation. I know it worked for me, as the thing that initially broke the mental shackles and freed me mentally from all fear of leaving the organisation behind for good.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

The thing is, how many people always, and only rely on an official site of a company or organization for information about that entity? I know that I don't, I google everything especially if its an investment in time or money. Do they really think that people will only go to jw.org for information about JWs.

They are essentially inviting the public to "google" JW's. This is going to be a backfire I think.

lol....please

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

will pdf downloads be counted as literature "placements"?

They already are. If a JW refers someone to JW.Org and that person downloads literature, the JW can count it as a "placement".

I'm sure it won't be long before a JW can post a Facebook page, and every "like" they get from a non-JW will be a "return visit".

XBE: The thing is, how many people always, and only rely on an official site of a company or organization for information about that entity?

I've talked to business owners who track their website use, and they say most people spend less than five minutes on the site and are only seeking basic information, like an address/directions or a phone number. They do not read the articles or other informational aspects of the business.

But what do you expect from WT? This is the same Organization that feeds JWs a Tic Tac...then calls it a "spiritual banquet". WT has never been big on substance, just appearance.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm convinced more and more that the shift from the "WTS" to "JW.org" (not to mention all the weird shit we're seeing along with it) are the "strange and possibly impractical-seeming instructions" that the GB's been psyching the R&F up for over the past couple years.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Vidiot, I don't follow you. Why on earth would the latest, trendy focus on JW.ORG be something in the category of "strange and possibly impractical-seeming instructions?" Quite the opposite I'd say; most internet savvy JW's in the western world would regard it as entirely practical and long overdue!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

yadda: Vidiot, I don't follow you. Why on earth would the latest, trendy focus on JW.ORG be something in the category of "strange and possibly impractical-seeming instructions?" Quite the opposite I'd say; most internet savvy JW's in the western world would regard it as entirely practical and long overdue!

Ummm....aren't JWs the same people who, for the most part, still think it's wise to not go to college or plan for retirement?

Aren't JWs the same people that pay $10,000 a day to rent their own mortgage-free assembly halls they just paid $10 million for?

Aren't JWs the people who bought the "overlapping" generation B.S. hook, line and sinker?

Finally, aren't JWs the ones that gullibly swallowed the WTs latest and blatantly absurd, self-aggrandizing definition of the "faithful slave" and praised it as wonderful "new light"?

I don't think "practical" is an influential factor in most of what JWs do.

"most internet savvy JW's in the western world would regard it as entirely practical and long overdue!"

I'm curious: What do JWs who don't have the Internet, or have access but don't use it, think? To them, a website is not only a big mystery but completely useless.

Since WT is seeing its largest growth in countries that have little, or no, Internet access, or JWs are too poor to afford a computer or the Internet, and is shrinking in countries that do have the Internet and JWs can afford it, this above statement has no relevance.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Not to mention that old-school rank-and-filers are almost certainly getting weirded out by the overhaul.

• factfinder
    factfinder

My jw brother always refused to get the internet because the devil is in it!

I wonder if all of the importance placed on jw.org has caused him to give in.

But it would not surprise me to find out some witnesses have T-shirts and baseball caps with the jw.org logo made. Notebooks, fridge magnets, etc.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

factfinder - "But it would not surprise me to find out some witnesses have T-shirts and baseball caps with the jw.org logo made. Notebooks, fridge magnets, etc."

I'm inclined to get this done in some form: http://s1326.photobucket.com/user/Vidiot2014/media/JWBorg_zps83de4e2f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit