You know you have a migraine when......

by Mimilly 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

You know you have a migraine when:

- The twittering of birds outside your window sound like shrill blasts of whistles.

- The morning traffic makes you wonder when freight trains started chugging through town - they weren't there yesterday.

- You go to smooth your hair back and cringe "Whoa! Who kicked me in
    the side of the head with a steel-toed boot - and why!?"

- Your eye cries all by itself, and burns your cheek.

- You greet a sunny morning by putting on sunglasses - inside.

- Your necessary breakfast is two painkillers and soda crackers.

- The phone rings and you feel like you've been electrocuted. Same with doorbell.

- Your kids blast their morning music and you dissociate; one of 'you' stays in shock while the other 'you' tells them in sign language that their lives are in danger if they don't turn it way down or off.

- The dogs bark at the postman or neighborhood brats and you think you've been sent to hell.

- When you entertain the idea of using the neighborhood kids for target practice - after the pain ends of course.

- You start admiring the shiny silver slivers in your sight.

- You want to lay very, very still, in a sound-proofed rubber-room.

- You can no longer speak - you groan silently, then upchuck.

- You upchuck and passing out is mandatory, and merciful, after all, your brain just exploded.

- You think you're going to die. But after having several migraines, you rationalize that you must have been reincarnated many times in a single lifetime, but each reincarnation has migraines. Oops.

- You hear sirens and hope they're coming for you with a huge syringe of relief.

- Whispers sound like yelling.

- You start to believe that to crack your head open like an egg and let the 'yolk' out, becomes an option.

- You ask the Gods that be - "why, at THIS time does my brain NOT shut off? (re: thinking about things that have to be done)

- And if painkillers do take the brutal edge off - you pray thanks to the Gods of Science.

- Your cat purring sounds like a lawn mower.

- Even silence is loud.

- Your teeth hurt and your ear pops. Snap crackle pop - migraine

- One side of your face becomes numb and you see the humor - it's your head that is causing the pain - and it's that side of your face that gets to feel nothing.

- You can feel the fillings in your teeth.

Good morning everyone. If my migraine anecdotes made you smile, it's worth it. :D Gotta laugh. Stay tuned for my 'Thank God for Pills" ditty. Did I mention that pain can make one incredibly silly at times? Feel free to add your own to this list.

to all a good day -
    Mimilly

• Prisca
    Prisca

Ah, I can relate. They don't come as often as they used to - have learnt to manage my life and stress levels better.

Sympathies to all who suffer from them.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Morning Mimilly...I'm on my way to bed actually...but top of the morning to ya anyway.

I get migraines...I was sitting here nodding enthusiastically at your list...although u forgot a couple:

- when the aroma of sizzling bacon and freshly brewed coffee makes you wanna lean over the toilet bowl and chuck up yesterday's donuts...ewww..graphic huh

or

- when you've convinced yourself you've got a tumor

or

- when you go to close your eyes but they're already closed

or

- when you ask your husband how long the kids next door have had a drum set

or

- when you decide to turn off the computer because your nose has been squashed up against the monitor all day reading jw.com

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Beck - how could I forget the 'aroma' of anything?! Of course, I'm eating soda crackers. But you are SO right!
    As for JW.com though, well, here I am! (even if I am wearing sunglasses and seeing shiny silver slivers!) Yes, the meds have taken the edge off - now my head feels very bruised. It's that whole steel-toed kick someone gave me ;) (and I sleep alone) Must be deminz.

Prisca sweety, I'm happy to hear that yours have subsided in quantity. Murphy's Law is my zodiac sign, and I am frantically shovelling stress, even though I have worked to deal with it effectively. So many triggers, too few shovels!

hugs to both of you,
    Mimilly

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Hugs to squinty eyed Mimilly who wears her sunglasses inside while eating soda crackers...I would like some advice on how to manage my life and stress levels Prisca.

I get up at 6.30am...shower and dress for work...make sandwhiches for kids lunches (don't have breakfast and don't make my own lunch)..I convince myself I'll buy a sandwhich as I gulp down luke warm coffee (made that way so I can drink it fast). Round up troops...out the door at 8am...drop of child number 1 & 2 and then drop of child number 3 before heading for the freeway to the city. Arrive at work at 8.55am and having 5 minutes to spare make my way to the ladies to do my hair...clip down the fluffies and powder the nose etc. Set about my work tasks for the day - feel a grumble in tummy - look at clock to see it is only 9.15am *sigh* Lunchtime comes and tummy is grumbling a tune all on its own...search in handbag for purse...only to find 25c and an old piece of gum. Decide to have toast for lunch using kitchen facilities at work 5.30pm and hastily makes way to car park only to step on a wet leaf and slip over, landing on backside like a baby elephant. Picks up scattered handbag contents and swears out loud as the new Revlon lipstick rolls down the path and into gutter. Gets in car...drives 30 minutes to pick up number 2 child from rugby practice...waits in car for another 30 minutes...drives home. Walks inside house and number 3 child shows school notice wanting $300 for school camp...husband shows phone bill of $500 with concerned frown...we decide to get number 1 child her own mobile phone on pre-pay plan. Cook dinner...eat dinner at 8.30pm...number 1 child rings for a ride home from work...pick up number 1 child and return home to put clothes in dryer and new load in washing machine before running the vacuum cleaner over kitchen floor. Finally retire at 11pm - husband hands me pandol and says 'no excuses this time' *sigh*

Advice welcome!

Beck

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

(((mimilly)))

Sorry to hear of all the migraine problems. Medicine may take the edge off, as well as dark room, feet in hot water and a cold washcloth on your neck. Other than that, isn't life grand???

Hope you are feeling better in a couple of days.

Hugs,
    j2bf

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Mimilly,

Gave me the shivers just reading your list. So sorry you are suffering, hope it ends soon. (((Mimilly)))

• outnfree
    outnfree

Mimilly,

Relating to more than a few items on that list of yours. I think you could win a creative writing contest hands down with that one -- provided the judges have ever experienced migraine!

Beck,
    Your life sounds hauntingly familiar, although I am a full-time mom but with four kids, not three.

Hope Mimilly feels better soon and we all remain migraine-free for a good six months (or longer?!!???)

outnfree

• Francois
    Francois

Smells. You forgot the smells. Any smells at all, even good ones.

I had intense migraines from about the age of 6 till about 32. Then they just sort of went away. Now maybe I'll have one every five years, and it's been over five years since I had one. Don't know what made them go away. I think getting away from the Borg had a LOT to do with it.

I think the best place to be with a migraine is a sensory deprivation chamber. Plus, the only medication that ever did me any good: a Goody's Headache Powder taken with an ice-cold Coke. If I could ever get to sleep, I'd sleep for a couple of hours and wake up with a stunned feeling and be very hungry.

Thank God they're over.

Francois

• Nikita
    Nikita

Mimilly,

Sure hope you are feeling better soon! I shout a big "AMEN" to your list! I've had them since I was 7 years old. There was one time, briefly, where I thought I would have preferred a Migraine and that was while I was in Labor! But then my beautiful little girl was born...

Nikita
    Thankful that today there is no migraine for me!

"I think you ought to like what you do. Because there's a reasonably
    good chance no one else is going to."
    Rich Mullins

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit