Women elders, what difference would they make?

by Freedom77 36 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

If they were to appoint all the "sisters" that would appear to qualify, after being excluded for decades , these old girls would really shake things up!

I don't mean in the congo, but in the power halls of the B O E . These women have for years been spoonfed the rubbish about the H/S being at work therin. They believe that God works through the decisions that are made. If they ever found out that is a backstabbing boys club where the strongest personalities control it, there would be hell to pay..

Plus the fact that some elders love having a secret club to go to, (like a lodge meeting?) and she may not question him and he can escape the chores of home life....Can you imagine how he is going to react if she comes along too and has an equal say......Oh No. It is like the Saudis not letting them drive cars , keep them at home.......

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'm not sure it would make a huge difference.

Quite a few of the elders are led around by the nose by their wives already.

Oops! That's the heifer with the nose ring.

Usually she's leading around her hubby by the nose.

Doc

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Not much difference. As with male elders, how long they last in the role would depend on how willing they were to tow the company line.

• Mum
    Mum

I am a woman and have been a JW and an elder's wife, and have seen behind the curtain of the facade of "love" among the "brothers." Women have a different perspective on things, especially as it concerns children. On the one hand, I think child molestors might not get off so easily. I think DF'ing a teenager who was baptized long before he/she understood what he/she was getting into might be frowned upon a lot more, and the child might receive more "counseling" before being thrown to the wolves.

On the other hand, I think women would resist such appointments, as their ego is not so tied up with position and power. Women have a greater need, IMHO, to feel "qualified" for a position. My grandmother believed that Walter Mondale lost the presidential election because of "that woman," his female running mate. Women see themselves as inferior because we've internalized what society has told us about ourselves. A few women are breaking out of that mentality, particularly women of Generation Y. My granddaughter clearly does not see herself as inferior or subject to anyone's innate "superiority." (You go, girl!)

I used to be a doormat. As a result, I could no longer tolerate my life and had to start anew for the sake of my mental health. My elder ex-husband told me I "had a problem with subjection," meaning I had my own wishes and desires outside of being his personal slave.

It is not just JW's who have kept women "in their place." Almost all religions do to some degree. It would be very modern of them to buck tradition and have more equality among people. I agree that it could happen, but all hell might break loose if it did. Even "worldly" men hate it when a woman is the boss, or even given opportunities traditionally closed to women.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Fewer pissing contests.

• SAHS
    SAHS

“Women elders, what difference would they make?”

Actually, I don’t believe that women would really make any difference at all because they basically have the same mental abilities as men. Woman are functioning quite fine in the business and political world. Contrary to Franklin Rutherford’s statement, “ What is a woman anyway, but a hank of hair and a bag of bones, ” women have more than adequately proven their abilities in this world, given a chance.

• Bye bye birdie
    Bye bye birdie

I do agree with everything mum said! well done.

• Mum
    Mum

Thanks, Birdie!

• Freedom77
    Freedom77

Women who lead patriarchal-type organizations are simply "glove puppets" of the arrangement but give a lovely visible presence as figureheads. Think Maggie Thatcher's Velvet Glove.

steve2, with all respect your impression of Thatcher is mistaken. Far from being just a "lovely presence," she was an active, commanding leader who excercised more direct power than any American president ever has, and almost single-handedly changed the course of British history. There are any number of excellent books, articles, and video biographies online that make this clear. Whether she used her power for good or ill is still hotly debated in the UK, but to think she was a mere figurehead of any kind is to be deeply misinformed. The Russians didn't tag her "the Iron Lady" for nothing.

I don’t believe that women would really make any difference at all because they basically have the same mental abilities as men. Woman are functioning quite fine in the business and political world.

SAHS, yes it's well established that women are in fact human beings with skills and mental abilities equal to men's. So why then does anyone bother to notice how many women are in politics or business? Or whether any women are Supreme Court justices, or how many are on a jury dealing with a criminal case? No one counts blondes, brunettes, redheads, blue eyes, green eyes, brown eyes, or southpaws. Are you saying women bring nothing unique at all to their positions, that women and men are interchangeable with identical points of view on all subjects? Just askin'.

• millie210
    millie210

Well I came here to post my thoughts only to find Mum said it all much better than I would have!

I too think that younger people would stand a better chance with women elders.

Ever watch a stallion in a herd of horses driving the young males out? I have seen old male elders act the same way. They like the brown noser young "yes" men but they do NOT like the strong intelligent questioning young men. They needle them and put them down and IF they get a chance they get rid of them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit