Is the Bible just as fake as the JW's

by BackSlider 42 Replies latest jw friends

• BackSlider
    BackSlider

It seems that the more I research, the more I find that it's all just a big scam. Is there any evidence that even the bible isn't just another big religion/government scam? Would we listen to Putin or Obama if they told us they have verified new holy writings? Why do we believe a roman government when at the time 95% of the population was illiterate?

Just sayin

BackSlider

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I suspect you know the answer you'll get from the athiests on the forum, so I'll skip that part.

I don't know if I would completely call the bible fake, despite my personal views on religion. It certainly has some accurate (and some otherwise) historical information, and it definitely has some useful (and some otherwise) guidance on how to live your life in a moral way that will make you happy. Many christians would point to the 'timeless guidance' that it contains as proof of divine backing, but I suspect that any sufficiently large book of personal stories that's been groomed for centuries would likely contain similarly valuable pearls of wisdom.

As the phrase goes, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. The bible has some good advice as well as some great examples showing how far humankind has come over the years. Like anything, read it with a grain of salt and a critical eye.

I would say, though, that the costs that the bible has imposed upon mankind (particularly the dark ages, as we'd be about a thousand years ahead technologically speaking if the church hadn't put such a damper on any scientific understanding) likely outweigh any moral guidance that it has provided.

• donny
    donny

The Bible is simply the stories and musings of some bronze-aged middle easterners who were trying to maintain some control over a band of desert dwellers and trying to make a nation out of them. It has no more and no less relevance than ancient Chinese or Egyptian stories.

• designs
    designs

if your were BornAgainSpiritBegottenmemberoftheNewCovenentfoundthetrueChristwithin you would only then truly understand.....

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

OEJ: I suspect you know the answer you'll get from the athiests on the forum, so I'll skip that part.

Instead of targeting atheists, why not just consider anyone with at least two functioning brain cells? One does not need to be an atheist to know the smell of bulls**t.

The bible has some good advice as well as some great examples showing how far humankind has come over the years.

How? Christians are living off rules that were invented 2,000 years ago; OT supporters (like Muslims) haven't progressed beyond 3,000 year-old nonsense.It is the secular world that progresses, not the Biblical/religious world.

To your point, while the secular world had established the earth is a sphere, the Catholic Church took a few hundred more years to catch up with facts. Hell, some Fundamentalist Muslims still believe the earth is flat...because the Koran says so. Evidence holds no sway with the religiously ignorant.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

P.S.

There isn't any "good" advice found in the Bible that didn't already exist in other cultures long before the Bible was written. There is nothing unique to the alleged positive advice in it. Many already had it figured out before god supposedly decided to chime in on human affairs.

• Focus
    Focus

OP:

It seems that the more I research, the more I find that it's all just a big scam

[ ] You have not understood.

[X] You have understood.

The parts which aren't directly a (power- and money- seeking) scam are just old fables cobbled together by ignoramuses and fantasists.

The Harry Potter collection makes more sense, is far less inconsistent and provides a better set of moral values.

Their truthfulness and historical accuracy re key events is similar.

__

Focus

("Answers" Class)

• Terry
    Terry

WATCH THIS. It is particularly informative of BOTH sides of the academic opinion spectrum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg-dJA3SnTA

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Is the Bible just as fake as the JW's

Not in the sense when its taken as historical reference of ancient mythological beliefs of the Hebrews and its their own embellished stories of their particular devised god (YHWH).

• Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit