You gray hair ones here, is time moving slowly or can you see the hour hand moving?

by jam 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• What is Truth?
    What is Truth?

Jam, I heard it has something to do with the Schumann resonances.

• jam
    jam

What is Truth: A set of spectrum peaks in the extremely low

frequency portion of the earth's electromagnetic field spectrum,

Schumann Resonances. You know somthing I don't know???

Do tell.....

• Magnum
    Magnum

Thanks prologos & Old Goat - very interesting and thought-provoking.

Old Goat: "It was a different religion than it is today" and "The members were committed and knowledgeable. They knew their religion. That’s not so now."

I say that to my wife almost every day. I know you've seen more of a change than I have, but I've seen a huge change in the last forty years. The JWs today are not knowledgeable as they were some time ago; they don't seem to be made of the same stuff.

Old Goat: "There was a reservoir of doctrinal questions too. Major prophetic statements seemed to have no basis in anything but imagination. When I read the book New World, a commentary on Job, I was impressed. Two decades later, in the 1960s, I had read almost everything the Watchtower had ever published and was left with the lingering question: “How do they know that?” The answer is, of course, they don’t. They see themselves as inspired, even though they deny that. They know ‘it’ because they want to see themselves as a prophetic movement. They don’t know anything at all. They make it up."

Very interesting.

It seems that some of you don't, but I find it really sad that it's all evidently not real. It's on my mind constantly - every day, almost all day. During my belief period, it was so exciting, it felt so warm and safe, and it felt so secure to think I had living forever in paradise ahead of me. Though I still do cling to a little hope, the hope is almost gone.

Thanks, jam, for letting me ask a few questions on this thread. This topic of time seemingly passing so quickly has really had me in some deep thought lately. The clock is ticking.

• prologos
    prologos

Magnum , I am with you in the state of mind that yearns for the kind of certainty that earlier wt beliefs created, but a new belief that is based on Evidence that surely must come from science. or a stunning , not- to -be- ignored revelation. But the uncertainty drives me to concentrate on the tangible, family.

Whatistruth & jam: when you mentioned Shumann resonances I thought you alluded to Fredrick Franz's relationship with his footwear.

one of the great advantages of getting old now, is the great wealth of information, stimulation available to maturing minds.

standing waves and all.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

jam:

There are a lot of good posts on this thread and I do agree that time is flying. It is almost as if somebody is playing a trick on me.

Prologos:

I can't believe you are as old as you say you are! It almost seems you are pretending! You seem to have the writing style and attitude of somebody much younger. Good for you.

GrreatTeacher:

I know what you mean and Miss Clairol is my friend as well. But, the way I see it, gray hair is better than no hair.

Old Goat:

I always enjoy your posts and everybody needs to hear from somebody who has been in the religion from way back and can educate us so we can see just how much the religion and people have changed. There is nothing like somebody who has lived through something versus just reading about it. You can tell us how it all "felt".

I also agree that there is "good" in the religion in that it rests with the average person who wants to please god. Unfortunately, as far as I am concerned, this isn't going to redeem the religion in my eyes. It can't.

It is interesting that you are "out" because of bad treatment as opposed to wrong doctrine. So am I. (Although one can argue that faulty doctrine caused the bad treatment.) I also agree with you that the organization's structure fosters authoritarian abuse.

You are not the only one who wasn't having any of this.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Life is like a roll of toilet paper the nearer you get to the end

the faster it goes.

• jgnat
    jgnat

History is foreshortened. I thought we renewed our park pass last summer but it was two years ago, long expired.

I can spend an entire afternoon observing the behavior of bees. No exaggeration. Mindful meditation can extend our now experience, and the associated pleasure. I try to be mindful when I eat now.

Think about it. A two year old experiences half his life in one year. That's a lot of learning going on! It must seem to stretch forever. For me, a year is 0.018 of my experience. Barely a blip.

The Time Paradox by Philip Zimbardo

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/an-exercise-in-time-perception-matt-danzico

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Jgnat, what a sneaky way of telling your age!

• jgnat
    jgnat

LOL. No reason to give it away!

• Over%forme
    Over%forme

James Brown, I agree. There is a country song

I think about "A hundred years gos by quicker

than you think."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit