You gray hair ones here, is time moving slowly or can you see the hour hand moving?

by jam 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jam
    jam

I swear, time is moving so fast. The only time I know what

day it is, is by looking at the news paper. Wow it's Sunday,

what happen to Wednesday. Didn't I have a birthday last month.

Day seems like a hour, week a day and a year a month..

That is the one scripture I agree with, A thousnad years is a day

to God...

Sometimes I can actually see the hour hand move on the clock..

• prologos
    prologos

I am well into my ninthst decade and notice it, except when i drive, or scate board, then I am not slow but the oldest teenager around.

I notice it when I watch the sun setting on the salt watery horizon from my top window. then it goes too quick. but the earth does not rotate faster now*.

here is my theory: In our internal clock, whatever mechanism it is, some digits drop, numbers die off. so rather registering all the previously existing blips, fewer are counted.

The "day for a thousand year" comparison does not hold, because it also mentions the reverse. a "thousand years like a day" speeding up and slowing down for the one that is eternal.

*but it rotates faster than in Joshua's day, when rotation stopped. and rotation will stop eventually, when the universe is really old. the moons rotation has already slowed to once a month, totally from our perspective.

Our movement through time, the most fascinating journey.

• jam
    jam

prologos: Interesting outlook. Like it, "Our movement through time,

the most fascinating journy"..

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yeah time goes by fast. It seemed only a few years ago my grandson was a little guy, now he's in basic training for the Air Force. I t just seems crazy but there it is.

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

I'm nearly 90, full of aches and pains. Some days don't end soon enough, some go by quickly. I try to keep busy writing or coming out of retirement to occasionally lecture or present a glorified show and tell session. I've become an amateur archaeologist of sorts, walking the river looking for signs of early settlement. I annoy my wife on a regular basis. I'm on a first name basis with most dial a ride drivers.

I sometimes use a cane. Those days are not fun. I have a large number of email friends. And I spend too much time in front of the computer.

• AnneB
    AnneB

On July 29th, "Mama" Cass Elliott will have been dead 40 years. Impossible, but true.

I still listen to her songs. She's as alive to me as if she was on Ed Sullivan last week.

Time isn't linear to me.

• jam
    jam

Old Goat, impressive.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Old Goat:

And I spend too much time in front of the computer.

Yeah! Me too. What did previous generations do without bloody computers and the e-world? (Grin)

But seriously - the world is encapsulated on my (very messy) hard disc.

When I was young, we suffered from too little information, now we suffer from a surfeit.

Thankfully, I still have few aches and pains, but who knows what my last decade or two will have in store for me.

• Magnum
    Magnum

jam - I'm extremely sentimental and nostalgic, and it depresses me how quickly time seems to pass. It's downright scary. The weeks, months, and years are blowing by. When I was young, a year seemed like an eternity. It seemed like my high school years would never end. Now four years is nothing; it just blows by. I'll be thinking about something that seems like it happened a year ago and find out it was seven or eight years ago. I cannot believe it's been thirteen years since the events of Sept 11, 2001. I can't believe it's been 20 years since 1994, when time ran out on the old JW "generation" definition.

prologos & Old Goat - I'm mid-fifties, and I still have the same desires and interests I had 30 years ago; in fact, I've acquired more interests. Do you guys still have basically the same mindset you had at 70 or 50 or 30? Were you both JWs? If you were, what was it like when you first realized something was wrong and that you might not be living forever after all? Was it extremely depressing? Do you feel that there's any kind of existence after the clock runs out on us here on earth?

jam, I hope you don't mind my asking those questions. They seem to go along with your thread subject, and you just got me thinking about the passing of time, what it's like to grow older, etc.

• jam
    jam

Magnum; No problem, I'm in my mid-60's I would love

to hear from Prologos and Old Goat, their thoughts.

How quickly time pass, a topic posted this morning,

"How was your weekend". I posted about my fishing and

camping trip, it was a week ago not this past weekend.LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit