I Went Into "Cult Mode" The Other Day..

by humblepotato 10 Replies latest jw friends

• humblepotato
    humblepotato

If you recall, I'm just coming to grips with TTATT and atheism after a few years of doubts. Made a long post around here, a while ago, talking about the very subject. But, anyways...

So the other day, my wife was telling me how she was just exhausted and "peopled out." She didn't really feel like going to the meeting that evening either.

What did I do?

Well, like a real bonehead, I told her she needed to go to the meeting to get... wait for it... "HOLY SPIRIT" and she would feel better. She is a REAL HARDCORE JW and never questions anything. And, although she suffers from depression..., she really does feel better when she goes to meetings or out in service. I think it makes her feel less guilty, maybe?

But on our way to the Hall, I was thinking... 'Did I really just do that? What is wrong with me!?'

Anyways...a couple Sundays later was the same thing... I was determined not to make the same mistake twice. We stayed home. She felt miserable afterward for missing the meeting, and terribly guilty. But I think playing into her natural inclinations to stay home are where I want to focus my efforts...for now.

Did any of you guys ever snap into "cult mode" when exiting? How long before that stops happening? Am I alone in that?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Can't say that I've ever done anything quite like that - though I do know a large part of my thinking is still influenced by the cult indoctrination.

I have the same issues dealing with my wife's guilt. The best thing to do is probably distraction with something she really enjoys. If you miss a meeting and you're just moping around the house instead, it actually serves to strengthen some of the indoctrination - she'll associate being miserable with missing meetings. You need to distract with something especially good and break that association.

The meetings and recruiting can definitely make a JW feel happier, but it's only serving to ease a problem that the cult itself created. You definitely shouldn't feel guilty like you're making your wife miserable by helping her to miss cult meetings - it might make her miserable short term, but the cult is what's responsible for that, not you.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I do know a large part of my thinking is still influenced by the cult indoctrination.

I still have those times too. For example, when something bad happens, I sometimes question if it's because I have lost God's favor/blessing? In reality I am certain that God has more important things with which to be concerned and situations in which He is needed, than my mundane problems in life.

Doc

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Hp, that is the power of brainwashing, manifesting itself!
  • iwasblind
    iwasblind

We were exactly where you are last year. Don't worry it takes time to de-progam the guilt.

We found that we could read our bible and worship God without them. So now we relish any chance to miss the meetings and find we feel closer to God when we don't go.

Does your wife have doubts too?

Praying for you both

• The Searcher
    The Searcher
    Nope!! Just felt delighted to be M.I.A.!
  • KateWild
    KateWild

Wow real cult mode!!!!!

You really need an exit plan. I sometimes find myself talking to Jehovah....but then I just say to him......

"well you don't care anyway so I am not going to bother "

But I have never thought going to a meeting was good for me whilst I knew TTATT .

Kate xx

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

The guilt wears off (and thus the power of the cult) after about two months of missing meetings. I don't even think about it being a meeting day/night anymore. I went cold turkey last fall and stopped all "organizational activities". I was in good standing but just could no longer take the mental raping any longer. Ironically, the last meeting i went to was when we were covering Deuteronomy 18 in the weekly bible reading. I read Deuteronomy 18:20-22 and right then and there I decided I was done. The wife was pretty pissed by my attitude, but she eventually reached the same conclusion that we both could use a little livin' without all the guilt and pressure to please the "mother" org.

If the meetings make you feel better then you got to do what you have to do, but if they make you feel like vomiting in your mouth, then it's time to stop swallowing the F.O.G.(fear,obligation,guilt) poison.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    You have to learn to make her feel good about skipping. Whatever works for you. Make her a nice dinner off the grill or take her to a nice restaurant that day. Buy her flowers. Here's one: make a massage appointment. Plenty more things I am sure you know that would help her feel good.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    You can take the boy out of the Watchtower, but it's a lot harder to get the Watchtower out of the boy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit