Convention Season-"Saving Good Seats" & Other Embarrassing Behavior

by Darth Fader The Sequel 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I would love to see the glares I would get if I decided to record this event on my phone/iPad. Imagine the looks as these people come sprinting/speed walking down the corridor with arms swinging wide with coolers and realize someone is recording their ridiculous behavior and laughing at them the whole time.

Man, if I were in charge of the Attendant Dept at for the Regional Convetion, I would instruct the brothers to use the technique used by Disney (who are experts at all things crowd-control related).

If you get to a Disney theme park before the gates open for the day, they have a very personable employee who chats up the crowd and instructs them that when the gates actually open s/he will begin walking slowly backwards into the park. No one is permitted to pass that employee as s/he walks backward with arms outstretched (I've also seen a variation where several employees walk backward holding an outstretched rope). When the "guide" finally passes that attraction/ride, you can go in. But no one is allowed to pass him/her during that opening walk.

I can only imagine the looks on the "friends'" faces as they came surging through the doors to encounter that type of approach. Those poor attendants would have to endure listening to all the friends grumbling and murmering as they glared at him during his walk. They would be beyond apoplectic!!! I have no doubt that the Chairman's Office would be overrun with complaints within a few short minutes with claims that their entire convention experienced was ruined because of this.

R_O

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I remember sometimes when we couldn't find seats because they had a bible or songbook in them and the person said they were saving them, my mother always said that just as soon as they get to their seats we will leave . . . .NEVER had to leave, no one ever came !!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Ha, nice, ShirleyW, your mother had guts. It's true, the phantom book-placers almost never show up.

I suppose one reason no one has put "the stampede" on YouTube yet is that only attendants would be in a position to properly record the event from inside the hall when the doors opened.

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

InquiryMan- I imagine it is just an American JW phenomena. It would not surprise me. We are a strange lot.

There is another component to "the 8am stampede" that I have observed and it is racial and/or class based. However, if we talk about this component I am sure all we will do is piss off other members of this forum. So I will just leave it at that.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Canadians are guilty of the same bad behavior. Running for seats, seat saving, all of it.

• Darth Fader The Sequel
    Darth Fader The Sequel

Thanks, Jgnat.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

That's hard to believe, jgnat. I suppose there's even a few Canadians that aren't polite, who knew!

• jgnat
    jgnat

My immigrant son in law says the British are ever so polite as they (rip off your land/tax you to death/indenture dad in to forced labour). Just because a Canadian is pleasant doesn't mean they won't undercut you (excuse me, I believe that was my Song Book on this seat? *smile*)

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Think about this:

This sort of conduct is typical of selfish people..."a me first attitude."

Witnesses are the very personification of selfishness, as the whole belief structure is based on a selfish desire to live forever in a paradise.

So why would they be any less selfish when the stakes are seemingly high, or they risk being inconvenienced?

• Brother Mike
    Brother Mike

Where I go for the RC people will stare you down if your sitting in one of the good seats. (End seat or in the first row siting next to your elderly mother who constantly needs Assistence) Also I have seen people go to the point of arguing or shoving to get a good seat. I really do hate going to the conventions sometimes. JW's are supposed to be nice and kind people but obvously we see there not when It comes to getting a seat. Oh ya and two weeks ago when I went some women saved 3 rows for her friends. SMH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit