Anybody can get the financial records of the WT!

by EndofMysteries 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

The WT is nonprofit, if the below information is true, then any volunteers to getting it, scanning, and posting it online??? I found this when searching if nonprofits had to disclose their financial records to the public.

Question:

I work for a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. Are its financial statements available for public viewing -- especially regarding management salaries?

Answer:

Indeed. Nonprofits are required to submit their financial statements and other information -- including the salaries of directors, officers, and key employees -- to the IRS. (For information on who is considered a key employee, see IRS Form 990 and its instructions.)

The IRS and nonprofits themselves are required to disclose the information on Form 990 to anyone who asks. Nonprofits must allow public inspection of these records during regular business hours at their principal offices. However, many people won't even need to ask -- a number of websites make Forms 990 available for the searching, including the Foundation Center at http://fdncenter.org and GuideStar at www.guidestar.org.

In addition, people can request information from the IRS by writing a letter, including the name of the organization, the year, and the type of tax return requested, and send it to:

Commissioner of Internal Revenue
    Attn: Freedom of Information Reading Room
    1111 Constitution Avenue, NW
    Washington, DC 20224

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

My understanding (from JWN) was that there is some kind of loophole in the USA which allows the Org to conceal their income/expenditure.

It's the ONLY charity I've ever heard of which avoids revealing its financial worth. (and losses on Wall Street)

Someone who's more clued up will be able to explain. Many have tried to find out, all have failed! (so far)

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Go to www.guidestar.org and search for "Watchtower." The results say that as a "Church" it doesn't have to report. But there is an interesting review someone made. Also, Freeminds comes up as a result of the search for "Watchtower."

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

http://www.guidestar.org/organizations/26-2650963/new-england-thoroughbred-retirement-center.aspx

Whats horses got to do with bible studies etc?? OOOh! Maybe keeping some for the mad apocolisp ride!

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

But the society has many companies, they can't claim all the other corporations are church too, so people should be able to dig up info on the other companies as well I'm thinking.

• JeffT
  • rebel8
    rebel8

They are required to file certain forms and the public is entitled to those. The government says you should ask the org first to send you copies. I got no response to 2 requests. Then I told the gov't I got no reply so I'd like it from them directly. Used the FOIL lingo and everything. No response.

So I think what it would take is for someone to move through all those steps, keep documentation (certified mail receipts), and then file a complaint with the government for not honoring the FOIL.

Go for it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I wish people would be more precise when they discuss their research. Which forms must be filed? What was the source of your information? Also, the NYT ran an article about the RCC and pedophile litigation. The Catholic Church uses a form of financial disclosure rooted in the Middle Ages. They don't use Generally Accepted Accounting Principle. To complete its investigation, the Times had to pay for their reporters to learn the form of accounting. It took a long time to understand the figures.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Meh. I'm talking about something I did years ago. I don't remember. You can find it in my old threads--there you will get the details. Source was IRS and NYS.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

I dug around a few years ago. Thought "EUREKA" when I found the filings, but after a closer review found they simply submitted the EXACT same numbers for a number of years...they submitted the needed forms..but evidently in the USA there was no penalty for a Relgion perjuring....ah hem.. "Theocratic Stratigy".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit