Any examples of the JW's turning their backs on the elderly?

by AlphaMan 11 Replies latest jw friends

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

The Watchtower religion is a family destroying cult. I'm sure many of us know of people who gave their lives to the cult then have nothing and get nothing in the form of help from JW's.

I know a man who gave up a very good job with great benefits many years ago because the Watchtower had a conflict with his noble occupation. Of course the end was coming very soon so the man took a meager retirement and quit because of the Watchtower. Over 30 years later and the man is a widower now and still waiting on the end to come. He is elderly now and his place is falling apart. Despite being an elder for many years he gets no help at all with even the simplest of things like having his lawn mowed. All his children have left the cult except one and she not even helps him despite being in the same KH. Two apostate daughters use their vacation time to travel hundreds of miles to feed him good meals, take care of him, cut grass and fix things around his house. He has no relationship with any of his grandkids except for the children of his daughter that goes to his KH. It is really sad to see how this man gave his life to the cult, gave up having any relationship with his children who left the cult and his grandchildren who weren't raised in the cult. This man could have worked until a normal retirement age and have been set for life. He could have had a relationship with all his kids and grandkids. He would have loads of his family travelling to help him if he would have showed them love over the years instead of waiting for the end and giving all his love to the Watchtower. Now there are two things he can count on waiting for. One is he will continue to wait and not receive any help from the Watchtower people, and he will wait to die before he sees any Wathtower end of this system of things.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

A couple of years before my grandmother died she developed major digestive and bowel control issues. She became irregular at the meetings to avoid embarrassment if she was having a bad day. Then sisters in her hall started spreading gossip she was spiritually week for not attending every meeting.

My jw mom and her husband live in poverty. Neither planned for retirement. He wasted his inheritance because the end was so close. Her health got real bad and even the government won't help with dental work. Bethel nor congregation would help. Her husband insisting on shunning their kids who have left the religion. But they felt it's okay to ask them for help and money. They can treat them like they are dead but expect help as well. I told her of these other christian churches where if any of it's members were in the same situation they would have helped them in a heartbeat.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

AlphaMan, I'm sure this scenario is carried out many, many times. Just change the names. Darn shame.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

AlphaMan, I'm sure this scenario is carried out many, many times. Just change the names. Darn shame.

• metatron
    metatron

I knew an elder and his wife who refused to take his dementia afflicted father into his home because 'he had sacrificed enough'.

Remember, if you are a Witness, you can always say, "I have to go out/get time in field service" if you wish to avoid any act of charity.

metatron

• millie210
    millie210

Corban....

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

It's disgusting. How the jw's can call themselves Christians is beyond me.

• bigmac
    bigmac

ive posted this before----my jw dad is in a care home--he has mild dementia. hes 93.

we have a close relationship--he never shunned me. i see him several days a week.

my jw ex wife--and daughter---his family------live half a mile from the care home. my ex went to see him--once--in 18 months. his granddaughter ( my daughter 43 )----has NEVER been to see him at all.

the local elders have stopped seeing him. its like he's already died it seems.

this cult is beyond reason.

• bigmac
    bigmac

update.

i visited dad this aft.

i know he had occasional visits from a 90 year old sis who lived locally. i remember her from 40 years ago--her teenage daughter used to work for me.

her son ( never a jw ) came to see him--to tell him his mum had passed away.

i wonder if the local elders will bother to tell him.

just as well we have a close relationship----or he would have no-one.

• Divergent
    Divergent

The cong which I was in had patient visitation groups. They visited the elderly in care homes too. Looks like the elders in your dad's cong are slacking badly!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit