God supported Neco instead of His faithful king

by opusdei1972 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I always find this account interesting. I imagine Josiah marching out to battle in front of the oncoming Egyptians and just getting steamrolled like an idiot. There's an awkward silence while his advisers try to figure out why he did that and how to spin it when they write about it in the chronicles. Keep in mind this is the same king who was told by his priests, "We just found this ancient bunch of rules hidden in a wall and we're supposed to follow them" and he said, "Oh wow, it's great you found those, let's put those into effect immediately." Not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

opus,

Read the "books" from the outside. The books of Kings and Chronicles were written at different times by different people for different religio-political purposes.

Kings was compiled during the neo-Babylonian captivity by people "explaining" their parlous state. They rewrote their history to show that this destruction (of their authority) had all come about because the nation and the royal household had not heeded the prophets (and hence the voice of the priests - at Jerusalem). Kings is part of this created history that begins with Deuteronomy and includes Joshua, Judges, Samuel and Kings. This is known as the Deuteronomic History. Those Kings who disobeyed the whims of the Jerusalem priesthood were "bad" but those who succumbed to their will - such as Josiah - were "good". Jeremiah started his priestly calling under Josiah and hence held him in highest regard.

Chronicles, however was written much later, during the Persian era. While the writer(s) - likely Ezra - accepted much of Kings, some of it did not suit his religio-political views. So he made subtle changes; just consider the relative stories about Manasseh (spelling?). They portray him very differently.

These differences in allegiances affected other parts of the written record. For example, it is necessary to disentangle those parts in the writings of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers which were written by those having allegiance to Aaron (those of the Aaronic priesthood) from those having allegiance to Moses.

The Bible world is not flat.

Doug

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Doug Mason : It was like the author of Matthew with the Gospel of Mark. Matthew tampered some Mark's verses to accomplish his own agenda.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Bobcat : Thank you for your quotes.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Phizzy one of those verses actually says god was unable to defeat the mountain people because they had iron chariots. God can't fight iron chariots.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I think these verses were written while they were in Babylon and at this time they were worshiping Marduk. After Marduks guy cyrus beats the babylonians because they were worshiping the moon god sin, the Jews go back to Jerusalem were with persian help change to Yahweh worship..

• Zoos
    Zoos

"God has commanded me to make haste. Cease opposing God, who is with me, lest he destroy you .”

The bible doesn't say that God was supporting Neco. NECO said that God was supporting Neco.

Just like the bible doesn't say that Jehovah God and Jesus Christ have complete confidence in the faithful and discreet slave. The F&DS say that.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Zoos : The writer believed that God spoke through Neco:

"He did not listen to the words of Neco from the mouth of God, but joined battle in the plain of Megid′do."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit