God supported Neco instead of His faithful king

by opusdei1972 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

If you read the chapter 23 of the book of 1 Kings, you will note that Josiah was one of best kings of Judah. He did many good things in favor to Yahweh-worshipping. Let's read:

And Josi′ah took away all the abominations from all the territory that belonged to the people of Israel, and made all who were in Israel serve the Lord their God. All his days they did not turn away from following the Lord the God of their fathers. (2 Chronicles 34:33)

However, something happened and Josiah died because he fought against an ally of God:

20 After all this, when Josi′ah had prepared the temple, Neco king of Egypt went up to fight at Car′chemish on the Euphra′tes and Josi′ah went out against him. 21 But he sent envoys to him, saying, “What have we to do with each other, king of Judah? I am not coming against you this day, but against the house with which I am at war; and God has commanded me to make haste. Cease opposing God, who is with me, lest he destroy you.” 22 Nevertheless Josi′ah would not turn away from him, but disguised himself in order to fight with him. He did not listen to the words of Neco from the mouth of God, but joined battle in the plain of Megid′do. 23 And the archers shot King Josi′ah; and the king said to his servants, “Take me away, for I am badly wounded.” 24 So his servants took him out of the chariot and carried him in his second chariot and brought him to Jerusalem. And he died, and was buried in the tombs of his fathers. All Judah and Jerusalem mourned for Josi′ah. 25 Jeremiah also uttered a lament for Josi′ah; and all the singing men and singing women have spoken of Josi′ah in their laments to this day. (2 Chronicles 35:20-25)

As we read, Pharaoh Neco decided to go to Carchemish to fight against Babylon as an ally of Assyria, but Josiah tried to impede the intentions of Neco, then Josiah was killed by Neco, who was backed by God. .....I can't understand it. If Josiah was a faithful follower of God, who was representing God's organization on earth, why did God support Neco, instead of His faithful king??

Furthermore, if God supported Neco, God was supporting Assyria against Babylon. But some years later, God supported Babylon against Jerusalem and other cities. Accordingly, the Bible here shows a God who is politically capricious. Doesn't it represent a moral problem for the Bible believers?

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Good point. There are many discrepancies like that in the Bible. Keep on searching and you will find that it's so full of holes. It plagerizes from the philosophers, (Proverbs), it plagerizes from Babylonian history, (P.S. during Moses' day, Pharoahs were not called "Pharoahs", so anything pertaining to "Pharoah" has to be a hoax). Pharoahs were called "pharoahs" later, but not in Moses' day. Moses being pluched from the reeds is plagerized from other civilizations. In one case, the baby was plucked out of reeds by a man (prince, I think) instead of a princess. If Moses even existed is proven that he did not by some researchers. And --well, I'm going to stop here. You're on the right track, go for it.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

I have posted this topic because I have read in other Forum that "highlighting apparent contradictions does not advance the cause of the Gospel at all". However, this is not an apparent contradicton. We have more than "apparent contradicctions" in the OT, we have moral problems.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The problem for the Bible writer was as you outlined, Josiah was a "good" King, yet died in battle. So the writer had to make up the words neco is supposed to have said.

That this makes Yahweh look bad seems to have escaped the writer. But constantly throughout the O.T we have it as God's blessing when the Israelites win a battle, and the people's fault for not worshipping Yahweh properly when they lose.

An account in Judges, if memory serves, portrays Yahweh as unable to win a battle for them ! He was obviously at that time in the evolution of Jewish theology not considered to be Jehovah of Armies, let alone God Almighty.

• Splash
    Splash
    opusdei1972 If you read the chapter 23 of the book of 1 Kings

1Kings only goes up to chapter 22.

Splash

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Splash Oh yes, it is 2 Kings 23.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Phizzy : You said:

"So the writer had to make up the words neco is supposed to have said."

But, if the writer did that, why did God let this writer misrepresent Him?....It seems that God is not worry about the accuracy of the Bible accounts. Think about it Witnesses !

• Laika
    Laika

Those who live by the sword will die by the sword eh?

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

I posted some research about this question here, here, and here. All three links are to different posts on the same thread. These include a number of links to research material on the subject.

A footnote in one of the references (NAC-Chronicles commentary, p. 385) says:

• According to 1 Esdr 1:28, Jeremiah also warned Josiah against going into battle, but this could only be a later historian's speculation on the basis of [2Chronicles 35:] 25

Both the NAC commentary and the ISBE encyclopedia mention that Josiah may have in fact hurt the Assyrian effort against Babylon by delaying the Egyptian's march to Carchemish.

This reference addresses Neco's claim to have been sent by God. Josiah, for his part, might have been reminded of Hezekiah's dealings with Assyria and the claim of Sennacherib (Isaiah 36:10).

Bobcat

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

One of my favorite "O my god" bible accounts is when Lot escaped destruction of Sodom and Gomorah. His wife became a pillar of salt for her lack of faith, but his 2 daughters became his casual 'lovers' as a reward for their faith. What a lucky and guy he was. 2 nights with 2 different lovers and 2 successful pregnancies. what a stud. Fornication, incest, and drunkeness was ok for him because later on in the bible at 2 peter 2:7 he is referred to as "righteous Lot because he was greatly distressed by the bad law-defying people of loose conduct in Sodom??????????? WOW!

just saying!

eyeuse2badub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit