Are there more child sex predators in fundamentalists sects like the Jehovah's Witnesses

by Watchtower-Free 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

besty - "Society in general will fix this when it has had enough of it - just takes a while."

IMO, that paradigm shift is taking place right now.

The Information Age simply doesn't allow for something institutionalized sexual abuse depends on...

...secrecy.

BTW, what I meant was, it's almost impossible to fix internally; an authoritarian high-control group's structure prevents it.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

No I don't think so there's isn't huge amount of evidence to suggest that at this time.

One thing that can be assumed with confidence is that where there is a outward perceived notion that people who are apart of

religious organization are trust worthy (righteous) thats where predators will exploit that level trust . (Clergy or congregates)

The old adage of a wolf in sheep clothing in other words.

• Fernando
    Fernando

Religious fundamentalism and the attendant legalism and moralism have defined outcomes.

Polarisation.

Isolation.

Extremism.

Hypocrisy.

Self-righteousness (potentially malignant).

Ignorance (potentially militant).

Addiction.

Irrationality.

Blindness.

In these fertile circumstances extant bad and the capacity for bad are amplified dramatically.

Scientific studies would be great.

In the meantime a guru from Nazareth once said:

"Do you have any idea how silly you look, writing a life story that's wrong from start to finish, nitpicking over commas and semicolons? You're hopeless, you religion scholars and Pharisees! Frauds! You burnish the surface of your cups and bowls so they sparkle in the sun, while the insides are maggoty with your greed and gluttony. Stupid Pharisee! Scour the insides, and then the gleaming surface will mean something. You're hopeless, you religion scholars and Pharisees! Frauds! You're like manicured grave plots, grass clipped and the flowers bright, but six feet down it's all rotting bones and worm-eaten flesh. People look at you and think you're saints, but beneath the skin you're total frauds." (Matt 23, Message Bible).

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I have not seen any attempt to assess which religious group may have had the highest level of child abuse. I suggest that the whole topic is so complex and subject to varying definitions of such qualifiers as age of consent, etc.

The Catholic church has certainly recieved some of the most vitriolic publicity (likely, well-deserved), but that may not make it the church with the highest level of child abuse.

For what its worth, here's a web-site that that claims to list all publically accused, child abusing priests in the USA.

http://bishop-accountability.org/priestdb/PriestDBbydiocese.html

We should ask the question though, is the percentage of priests who offend in this way the same in say Spain? One immediate problem is that the 'legal' age of consent in Spain is 13. A second problem is the membership percentages will be different between Spain and the USA. How will that affect the statistics? This illustrates the difficulty facing any researcher trying to assess an answer to your question.

• Bye bye birdie
    Bye bye birdie

I am seeing a professional right now to sort out what happened to me in this religion....she said something interesting. She said when people are mentally ill it almost always manifests itself through religion or religiosity. No matter what the religion they thump it.

As far as child abuse goes...She said that she sees it in every religion. She particularly said The seventh Day Adventist have a ton of drama. I don't know what she means by drama. .... But she is a great therapist. She is very spiritual and not particularlily religious. Which suits me and my views.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Vidiot:

And because of the structure of high-control groups, it's almost impossible to fix.

I think Vidiot, that is only one aspect of the problem. but I do agree that the problem may be difficult to fix.

The problem is complex and perhaps far more common than we see. It also interacts with general societal attitudes and myths about sex.

Compare a recent media discussion on casual sex, with what parents may tell their children.

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health-and-behavior/casual-sex-excellent-people-love-casual-sex-83847/

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't think it is the doctrine of the church but how authority is viewed in the religion. Teaching that women and children are less than men is one factor. My father's plan was to get a gun. We had no trust in the brothers or the police. I had a very painfull showdown with the police. My father kept me hostage in the bathroom and said I was so evil I was going to watch him die. The police said to keep away from each other. I said I had no problems staying away from him. He was the one obsessed with me. k

The shame was intense. I had no respect for the brothers. Neither did my parents.

• givemejustalittlemoretime
    givemejustalittlemoretime

Child abuse is rampant in all forms of society.Its what we do about it is the issue. People have a duty of care to those who are and who have been abused. The Uk is coming ot terms with child abuse and all is being revealed in society everything hidden becomes known it turns out that child abuse goes right to the top of society among the elite . A 130 page document about child abuse in the British Parliament went missing now there is a big inquest. Many of these abusers are devil worshippers and use children for their practises. Satanic rituals involving children is vast and goes on and in fact has always gone on for centuries. People like Alex Jones on youtube have been speaking about child abuse in high society for years .The network of abuse rings are all connected between religions , politics, media, celebrities worldwide and the unvovering is going to be nasty and painful for many people. They will try to cover it up. THe uk peodo ring is alleged to go right up to the royal family. The so called ELite in history are well kwon to even eat children.Yes it snasty and painful

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Oh, God. I've diagnosed your problem, giveme, it's that you listen to Alex Jones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit