Some Ideas About Reincarnation/Rebirths/Past Lives And DNA

by frankiespeakin 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Focus
    Focus

cofty:

None of that is in any way supported by facts.

+0.99

(I am including the bits put after cofty's, else it would have been "+1")

Note to OP: Isn't it rather a jump to go from inherited responses to certain (say) chemical stimuli and reincarnation/rebirth?

__

Focus

("Anti-Troll" Class)

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Note to OP: Isn't it rather a jump to go from inherited responses to certain (say) chemical stimuli and reincarnation/rebirth?

I suppose so, but when ever I think about reincarnation the more I see how it matches up with a DNA filing system. Also I do have an intrest in the Jungian collective unconscious with its archetypes. So I'm thinking a guy meditating his life away back 2600 years ago must have stumbled on to something activated another level of consciousness to where he could let the brains processing power go to work, and some of what he found was this many past lives experience. Which I think gives us some indication that he had harnessed and made conscious some deeply embeded information in the DNA, similar to Jungian Collective Unconscious.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I view this material as utter junk. My religion history prof and others participated with LSD experiments run by Leary at Harvard. I was the only person in my class who did NOT want a psychic break. Leary would show up at early antiwar rallies in NY. I never trusted him. He was old compared to everyone else. kWhen you watch many of the thousands of documentaries on the 1960s, he is a bad force within the movement. Visit a state mental hospital and see how enlightening magic mushrooms are.

Perhaps you had to be there to appreciate my feelings. Woodstock was dangerous with all the people on acid. Maybe it is different within native cultures or in controlled circumstances at a university. There were also some kids with no knowledge of mysticism or Leary. When I asked why they were dropping acid, they had no clue.

It belongs around a camp fire. There is no science. These substances were/are used in so many cultures around the world.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Yes it's true Timothy Leary leaves a bad taste in some people mouth. Did you ever see any of his dialog with Artlinkletter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN2Dw94VIkE

It's true he said some pretty wierd things but he knew his psychology and was a bit of a show off in the little boys department.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

http://psychedelicfrontier.com/psychedelic-experience/#1

A manual based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead

By Timothy Leary, Ph.D., Ralph Metzner, Ph.D., & Richard Alpert, Ph.D.

A psychedelic experience is a journey to new realms of consciousness. The scope and content of the experience is limitless, but its characteristic features are the transcendence of verbal concepts, of space-time dimensions, and of the ego or identity. Such experiences of enlarged consciousness can occur in a variety of ways: sensory deprivation, yoga exercises, disciplined meditation, religious or aesthetic ecstasies, or spontaneously. Most recently they have become available to anyone through the ingestion of psychedelic drugs such as LSD, psilocybin, mescaline, DMT, etc. [This is the statement of an ideal, not an actual situation, in 1964. The psychedelic drugs are in the United States classified as "experimental" drugs. That is, they are not available on a prescription basis, but only to "qualified investigators." The Federal Food and Drug Administration has defined "qualified investigators" to mean psychiatrists working in a mental hospital setting, whose research is sponsored by either state or federal agencies.]

Of course, the drug dose does not produce the transcendent experience. It merely acts as a chemical key – it opens the mind, frees the nervous system of its ordinary patterns and structures. The nature of the experience depends almost entirely on set and setting. Set denotes the preparation of the individual, including his personality structure and his mood at the time. Setting is physical – the weather, the room’s atmosphere; social – feelings of persons present towards one another; and cultural – prevailing views as to what is real. It is for this reason that manuals or guide-books are necessary. Their purpose is to enable a person to understand the new realities of the expanded consciousness, to serve as road maps for new interior territories which modern science has made accessible.

Different explorers draw different maps. Other manuals are to be written based on different models –

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If you can prove "the Buddha" actually experienced anything, especially past lives, then we may discuss this. Until then, it's just more stories like the bible.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

If you can prove "the Buddha" actually experienced anything, especially past lives, then we may discuss this. Until then, it's just more stories like the bible.

Yes we must never forget the bible and the buddha are both ancient stories that form the basis for many religions, and that it is both unwise and counter productive to take everyword of these stories as the literal truth.

I'm not in the mood for proving anything to you, so that we can discuss anything. As far as I'm concerned you can believe what ever you want, it's no skin off of my nose.

• frankiespeakin
  • frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Some interesting things about Junk DNA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQGGg6lADhE

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

Don't try to use christian literalism in buddhism.

Buddhism use a lot of poetry and fantastic telling to explain mental processes. Buddhism copes with subjective experimentation of the world, so you cannot expect to set an orthodox interpretation of the Dharma.

BTW there's no concept of reincarnation in buddhism, neither soul or God.

The oldest buddhist school of thought (Theravada) take rebirths as happening in just one and single lifetime. As you-child it's not the same person as you-old, and there's just an illusory sense of continuity between several "you's" in your lifetime, every you is (in any sense) a different person. Because you are not a single entity (soul) but a dynamic process.

That's buddhism in a nutshell. You can think about reincarnation and junk DNA but there's nothing about that related to buddhism. Try to use something else to support your "theory".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit