How long have you known TTATT and continued to participate?

by LostGeneration 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Legacy
    Legacy

HI,

I found out TTATT, while I was studying....I did alot of research, & found out...Nope, they are not perfect & don't have the entire truth, but I had been to many other places of worship, & none of them have the entire truth. I even told a few of the friends, that I knew none of them walked on water, so that's why I stayed. I walked into it with my eyes wide open. I wanted to learn the bible...& I have, but they don't know the real truth of the bible. They are too busy adding more & more rules, & trying to keep the congregation in the dark or should I say hood winked...It started with Michael the archangel being Jesus...I happened on Hebrews, which really disputes that idea....then I remember when Jesus said when he was about to go to heaven, all authority had been given to him in Heaven & on earth...then I said, umm....that was not 1914...I could go on....Satan thrown out of Heaven in 1914, umm, maybe he was thrown out in the begining or when Jesus was taken to heaven....seems like when Jesus went to heaven to get ready for what...I don't know, but he didn't need Satan tracking in mud all over heaven...LOL...what I do like about the religion or way of life, like they like call it ....is that they do talk to the family, Mom, Dad & Kids...there is a ring of truth in some of the stuff they say...but that's all religions, they all have a ring of truth...the truth is the bible...no more no less...if any of us listen to man..we are in trouble...because as we know...Man can't even direct his own steps.

The Truth about the truth of life, Love God & your fellow man...now that's the truth...I'm not sure how long I'll be there...but knowing TTATT, helps me to sit there...I can see out & they can't see in...let them drink the kool-aide, it's ok....but for me...nope...I'll make my own kool-aide, thank you very much.

I like going out in service....sometimes you get a bite, sometimes you don't.....I do what I can, I'm not concerned about hours, like most of the friends, I'll hear them say, ah, I need to go out...I need some hours..I don't rock that way...I have some issues of things I did in the past, I work through them & try not to spend too much time feeling guilty....Again, I've been to many places of worship...my take on it...ain't nobody got the truth...

Legacy

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

@problemaddict- Planning is key, what I'm noticing though is lots of people simply stuck, going and going with no firm date to get out.

@factfinder - I find it fascinating that so many are physically out, but mentally captive for a time, while others are exactly opposite.

@howthebible - So are you still going? How did you get those families to stop without being outed yourself?

@razziel - Great post. Blowing everything up seems impossible, but I admire those that go all that route. There was a poster, alltimejeff that absolutely burned every bridge and started over. Myself, I couldn't leave my JW wife, and am still with her but it remains an annoyance to me thought its much better now than it has been. I'm not telling anyone to leave their family, but I think many would be surprised if they just took a stand and said that they weren't going to participate in cult activity. Having a strong offense puts the JWs on defense, instead of the other way around.

@overforme- now that is the kind of stuff I admire. Any regrets at all? It doesn't sound like it

@phizzy - Leaving cold turkey like that I now believe is better than strining out a fade. Why bother?

@TJ- Wow. Crazy story. Really shows the fear JWs have of the world at large.

@giordano - Congrats on your exit, I know it took lots of insight and some balls to leave on your own pre-internet

@joe - I thought the same initially, that I could sit on the fence. It really tore me up listening to that stuff knowing it was 100% false.

@tornapart - Hope things continue to progress for you.

• BU2B
    BU2B

I'd say its been 2 years fully awake, maybe another 9 months when I really began to question. I am still in for trying to help my wife wake up but its not likely to happen. I also continue because I want a peaceful home life. I regret not ripping off the band aid sooner, because now it would be over. My daughter will be turning 5 this winter so I know I will have to take a stand very soon. I cant look her in the face as a teen or adult and know that I consented to her being raised in a destuctive manipulative movement. I will soon be forced to take a stand whether I like it or not. My wife will turn on me, my parents will turn on me, as will my in laws. Who knows how it will go. I must be strong. Who wants to face that?

I have been able to step down from MS, and reduce my FS down to almost nothing. There is many tears and pain in my near future, however hopefully after the storm clouds clear, as dark as they will be, there will be a sunny day on the other side. They say the night is darkest before dawn. I hope that will be true for me and I dont wind up homeless or something, although that would be preferable to lying to my daughter and leading her (or standing silently by) to the arms of the cult. I would rather be destitue and try to help my kids have a WT free productive future and save them from baptism, than live and see them become little JWs.

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

BU2B

I must say your situation was very like mine, only that mine occured 10-15 years ago. I can tell you All of our family (except my wife) is more happy now when we all left the org.

Formely Elder

Bugbear

• BU2B
    BU2B

Can you tell me more about what happened Bugbear?

• Bye bye birdie
    Bye bye birdie

Bu2B

With you knowing the reality of this org. You will be able to quietly guide your children through it. Most kids do not stay in, even with two believing parents. Keeping peace and your family intact may require marriage counseling. Try and see if a Pro can help reason the terms of your marriage In this regard.

I tell my children every religion is rotten even this one. Listen for the good parts shrug off the crap. Also never ever become a publisher or get baptized and let them have lots of school chums/activities.

my kids hear the silliness in talks...recently the CO came down on dancing, movies...ect ect He even said if your tired..."no excuse and we don't want to hear it" also something about going to the hall in your territory and not using the excuse that your kids need other witness kids. "No they don't need friends"

Let them bury themselves with the guilt, hate, fear mongering. No one drinks from that well very long that is mentally fit.

Never let them take your voice or choice by letting them have access to your name in a microphone. (Baptism or publishing)

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

at one point my brother decided to apply for bethel. i was about 14. i almost threw up. bethel, being a servant, elder, meetings assemblies, weren't really me. my days aren't particularly planned. i change my mind as i drive down the road as to where i'm going. my father's life was very regimented and he liked the truth and thought everyone should go to bethel or in the army. so because i didn't quite fit in it's hard to tell when i learned the truth about the truth depending on the definition of truth or about.

however i always considered myself a good witness

not long. Watchtower came out in winter of 94 elders came in the summer and i was down to one meeting a month within six months and no meetings in 12. elders revisited.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Learned TTATT approx 7 years ago. Kept my elder hat (but slid out of almost all elder duties, including JCs) for approx 2.5 years. Used that time to educate myself on JWN and JWFacts and do strategic seed planting with my JW wife and unbaptized teenagers.

For us, it was 2.5 years VERY well spent. YMMV.

om

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

12 years

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Since the time I joined the forum, so going on two years. I learned TTATT and then immediately signed up here.

In my defense (esp. as I am one of those people who wrote up a convention report ), I have been working on an exit plan since then. It's a big plan and it's on someone else's time table, not mine, but it requires a lot of work from me too if it's going to succeed, so that's what I've been doing. If it doesn't work out, then I start on plan B, which will take additional time.

I would love to just stop going, but if I follow a plan that lets me move and fade, then I avoid confrontation, and that's important to me. I think if you look around at people's answers here, many have plans or specific reasons they are staying in, so I wouldn't chalk it up to fear or inertia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit