I got my mother to say animals evolved !

by cookiemaster 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Apognophos - "I'm pretty sure the Society has discussed the term 'microevolution' and suggested that this is just the God-given ability to adapt. And they openly state that animals 'adapted' into various species from the few that were on the ark. So they are basically accepting 'microevolution'."

Huh; first I've ever heard of it.

The rare occasions I ever broached the subject, I was politely told that I should concentrate on "spiritual things" more, i.e. stop thinking about it.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

That's because this is a subject that most JWs avoid like the plague. Except that some of us couldn't help but try to reconcile science with the Bible and so we were compelled to look into these things and see what the Society had written. For most JWs, however, this is a sort of teaching "hidden in plain sight". Read the Flood article in the Insight book for a mention of the animals on the Ark creating new species.

And here's a typical treatment of the subject of evolution which breaks it down as "macro" and "micro" and openly acknowledges the latter (this is, of course, a play stolen from the book of general Christian apologists):

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102006325?q=microevolution&p=par

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Jehovah's Witnesses teach that micro-evolution happens (animals gradually evolving) but not macro-evolution (they still stay in their specific "kinds")

It's almost like refusing to believe that you can go from -20F degrees in January to 90F in August, but accepting the idea that there could be slight temperature changes on consecutive days during the year. Stupid.

• Calebs Airplane
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Apognophos - "And here's a typical treatment of the subject of evolution which breaks it down as 'macro' and 'micro' and openly acknowledges the latter...: http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102006325?q=microevolution&p=par"

Ironic, considering that "microevolution" taking place over hundreds of millions of years can't help but inevitably result in "macroevolution".

Of course, we all know the real reason the WTS can't accept evolution is because it would pretty much negate their Adam-Jesus cosmology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit