Why Do Certain "Inactive Ones" Get Bothered By The Elders While Others Don't?

by minimus 20 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

It seems some inactive ones and active JWs are hardly ever bothered by the elders while others are constantly called, checked up on, etc.....

What gives?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Personalities, visibility, family ties, history, elder laziness, elder ego, organisational focus...

Any number of reasons. In my experience it is those who have caused a stir or are known for being outspoken/controversial and have few influential family still in that get the most sneaky heat.

• TD
    TD

Maybe for the same reason someone can be at a party and nobody remembers seeing them?

--Reminds me of a Monty Python about the invisible man.

• minimus
    minimus

I was very well known and yet they have left me alone for over a decade.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

First of all, it depends on if the inactive person is attempting to pursuade others to learning TTATT. Stopping anyone from making known the errors and lies of the WTS to others is the Prime Directive of the bOrg today. Hunting them down and silencing them is a priority.

Other factors are how high of profile the person had in the Org, how many people did they piss off along the way who are looking for a touch of revenge, how influencial they are in the community, and if they are financially capable of starting and following through with potential lawsuit rather than just threatening to do so.

Another factor is if an "innocent" mate is left behind in the Congregation who is looking to have grounds to re-marry. Esp if the mate has daddy or brothers who are elders willing to stalk the apostate mate.

Most often, if you go away quietly, you are not worth the time and effort of the elders.

Doc

• minimus
    minimus

stay under the radar and make no waves

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The reasons vary and "stay under the radar and make no waves" is high on the list.

In my own case, I was liked as one of the elders. They know that I could make trouble as someone with doubts if I were semi-active or showing up at JW events and at gatherings outside of the Kingdom Hall. But I don't show up anywhere, I don't call former JW's, I have nothing to do with them.

They may one day bother to kick me out, but doing so invites all kinds of trouble they just don't have at the moment.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Good question!

It also must depend on how involved the person was before they learned TTATT. Personally, I never commented, never had any "priveledges" and average svc time was 3-5 hrs/mo. So not a big loss. Also, I have no family within 1000 miles of where I live. Once I quit, I got one shep visit and that's it.

What about kids? Could they make a difference in how hard the elders hound the fader?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

stay under the radar and make no waves

That's about it, Min.. Personally, I am in regular contact with them, attend some meetings, have friendly banter and smalltalk, my wife is well involved and they let me be. This has been the case in more than one congo. now... I think that U K elders are more inclined to let "sleeping dogs lie " if they cause no trouble, they do not want the hassle of an investigation and obviously don't give a rat's a** for the salvation that they believe I am missing out on....

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Yup.

Exit quietly and they'll leave you alone.

Of course it all depends on individual circumstances - family, congregational responsibilities, years of involvement and dollars you have contributed. In each of these four areas the elders might bug you to death...or they might not bother you at all (hoping you won't leave).

ginger

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit