higher ed

by lambsbottom 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

Hurry need recent article showing wt discouraging higher ed

• Wild_Thing
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/ws20131015/slave-for-jehovah/#?insight[search_id]=2f9c63ad-74a9-46c3-b006-d3976357ea3d&insight[search_result_index]=1

12 A worldly master could make life very difficult for a Christian slave. In his first letter to the Corinthians, Paul said: “Were you called when a slave? Do not let it worry you; but if you can also become free, rather seize the opportunity.” ( 1 Corinthians 7:21 ) If the slave had a worldly master who made life difficult, it would have been much better for the slave to be free. Today, in many countries, the law says that young people should go to school for a certain number of years. After that, students are given a choice. They can choose whether to continue to get more education or not. It can become very difficult to have the freedom to serve Jehovah in the full-time service when a Christian chooses higher education just to have a career in this world. — Read1 Corinthians 7:23.

HIGHER EDUCATION OR THE BEST EDUCATION?

13. What education helps Jehovah’s servants the most?

13 Paul warned the Christians who lived in Colossae: “Look out: perhaps there may be someone who will carry you off as his prey through the philosophy and empty deception according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ.” (Colossians 2:8) Many teachers teach “the philosophy and empty deception according to the tradition of men.” Higher education, which often includes these teachings, does not always provide students with practical skills, and they may not be prepared for everyday life. But Christians choose education that will give them the skills they need to live a simple life so that they can serve God. They take seriously Paul’s counsel to Timothy: “To be sure, it is a means of great gain, this godly devotion along with self-sufficiency. So, having sustenance and covering, we shall be content with these things.” (1 Timothy 6:6, 8) Instead of getting degrees so that they can have titles after their names, true Christians work hard to get “letters of recommendation” by being in the field ministry as much as they can.—Read 2 Corinthians 3:1-3.

14. When we read Philippians 3:8, what do we learn about Paul’s view of being a slave of God and Christ?

14 We can learn from Paul’s example. He was taught by the Jewish Law teacher Gamaliel. The education he received can be compared with a university education today. But what did Paul think when he compared it with the honor of being a slave for God and Christ? He wrote: “I . . . consider all things to be loss on account of the excelling value of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord.” Then he added: “On account of him I have taken the loss of all things and I consider them as a lot of refuse, that I may gain Christ.” (Philippians 3:8) Paul’s view can help young Christians and their parents to make a wise choice in education. (See pictures.)

BENEFIT FROM THE BEST EDUCATION

15, 16. What education does Jehovah’s organization provide, and what is its purpose?

15 What is it like in many places of higher education? People at these places often feel free to rebel and show that they are angry with the government and other authorities. (Ephesians 2:2) However, Jehovah’s organization provides the best education in the peaceful environment of the congregation. All of us can benefit every week from the Theocratic Ministry School. There are also other schools that we can benefit from. For example, there is a school for single pioneer brothers called the Bible School for Single Brothers, and for married pioneers there is the Bible School for Christian Couples. All these schools help us to obey our heavenly Master, Jehovah.

16 We can discover many precious truths from the Watch Tower Publications Index or the Watchtower Library on CD-ROM. The main purpose of our Bible education is to worship Jehovah. It teaches us how to help others become friends of God. (2 Corinthians 5:20) Then those we teach will be able to teach others.—2 Timothy 2:2.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

17 In Jesus’ illustration of the talents, the two faithful slaves were commended for their work. This made them and their master happy. To show his approval, he gave them more work. (Read Matthew 25:21, 23.) We can be happy and have a purpose in life if we choose the best education. For example, Michael did very well in school. When his teachers invited him to a meeting so that they could discuss his possibilities of going to a university, they were surprised to find out that he did not choose higher education. Instead, he took a short course that trained him in a practical skill. This made it possible for him to care for his needs and to pioneer. Did he feel that he made the wrong decision? He says that the education he has received from the Bible and as an elder in the congregation has been very valuable. He says: “The blessings and privileges I enjoy far outweigh any money I might have earned. I am really glad that I chose not to pursue higher education.”

18. Why choose the best education?

18 The best education teaches us God’s will and helps us to be Jehovah’s slaves. It gives us the hope of being “set free from enslavement to corruption” and eventually having “the glorious freedom of the children of God.” (Romans 8:21) Most important, it is the best way to show that we really love our Master, Jehovah.—Exodus 21:5.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

I feel it is a form of serious child abuse for parents to manipulate their children into foregoing higher education. All at the urging of eight old men in New York who epitomize the term 'uneducated'.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Also, it is an insult when they imply that everyone who pursues higher education is striving after wealth. The majority of the time, this could not be farther from the truth.

• steve2
    steve2

Lambsbottom clicks his tiny fingers - and you guys jump. Well done people. I wonder what Lambsbottom's next hurried request will be?

• smiddy
    smiddy

steve2

I think you might be on to something here steve.

smiddy

• jwfacts
  • Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

He's done this before? What is his/her purpose?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit